Poverty among the Elderly in Latin America and the Caribbean
AbstractThis paper provides evidence on the incidence of poverty among the elderly in Latin America and the Caribbean, based on household survey microdata from 20 countries. The situation of older people is characterized in terms of income, employment, education, health and access to services vis-à-vis the rest of the population. The paper identifies the role played by the current pension systems in Latin America, and assesses the efforts needed to achieve substantial improvements toward the reduction of old-age poverty.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 42957.
Date of creation: Jul 2007
Date of revision:
elderly; ageing; poverty; Latin America; Caribbean;
Other versions of this item:
- Leonardo Gasparini & Javier Alejo & Francisco Haimovich & Sergio Olivieri & Leopoldo Tornarolli, 2007. "Poverty among the Elderly in Latin America and the Caribbean," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0055, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
- D6 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angus Deaton & Christina Paxson, 1995.
"Measuring Poverty Among the Elderly,"
NBER Working Papers
5296, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Leopoldo Tornarolli, 2007.
"Labor Informality in Latin America and the Caribbean: Patterns and Trends from Household Survey Microdata,"
CEDLAS, Working Papers
0046, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Gasparini Leonardo & Leonardo Tornaroli, 2009. "Labor Informality in Latin America and the Caribbean: Patterns and Trends from Household Survey Microdata," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Barrientos, Armando & Gorman, Mark & Heslop, Amanda, 2003. "Old Age Poverty in Developing Countries: Contributions and Dependence in Later Life," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 555-570, March.
- Deaton, A. & Zaidi, S., 1999.
"Guidelines for Constructing Consumption Aggregates for Welfare Analysis,"
192, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Angus Deaton & Salman Zaidi, 2002. "Guidelines for Constructing Consumption Aggregates for Welfare Analysis," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14101, October.
- Angus Deaton & Salman Zaidi, 1999. "Guidelines for Constructing Consumption Aggregates For Welfare Analysis," Working Papers 217, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Martín Cicowiez & Leonardo Gasparini & Federico Gutierrez & Leopoldo Tornarolli, 2006. "Areas Rurales y Objetivos de Desarrollo del Milenio en America Latina y el Caribe," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0043, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Nanak Kakwani & Kalanidhi Subbarao, 2005. "Ageing and poverty in africa and the role of social pensions," Working Papers 8, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Nord, Mark & Bickel, Gary, 2002. "Measuring Children'S Food Security In U.S. Households, 1995-99," Food Assistance and Nutrition Research Reports 33801, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Grootaert, Christiaan & Braithwaite, Jeanine, 1998. "Poverty correlates and indicator-based targeting in Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1942, The World Bank.
- Steven Haider & David Loughran, 2001. "Elderly Labor Supply: Work or Play?," Working Papers 01-09, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Ravallion, Martin & Datt, Gaurav & van de Walle, Dominique, 1991. "Quantifying Absolute Poverty in the Developing World," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(4), pages 345-61, December.
- Whitehouse, Edward, 2000.
"How poor are the old? a survey of evidence from 44 countries,"
Social Protection Discussion Papers
23141, The World Bank.
- Whitehouse, Edward, 2000. "How Poor are the Old? A Survey of Evidence from 44 Countries," MPRA Paper 14177, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ricardo Bebczuk, 2009. "SME Access to Credit in Guatemala and Nicaragua: Challenging Conventional Wisdom with New Evidence," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0080, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Guisan, M.C. & Aguayo, E., 2007. "Health Expenditure, Poverty and Economic Development in Latin America 2000-2005," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 4(2), pages 5-24.
- Sule Sahin & Adem Yavuz Elveren, 2009. "A Cost Analysis of a Minimum Pension Guarantee for the Individual Pension System in Turkey," Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, University of Utah 2009_13, University of Utah, Department of Economics.
- Vanesa Valeria D'Elia, 2013. "Changes in pension inequality: A decomposition analysis of Argentina, 1995-2009," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 50(1), pages 48-81, May.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Walter Sosa Escudero & Mariana Marchionni & Sergio Olivieri, 2010.
"Multidimensional poverty in Latin America and the Caribbean New evidence from the Gallup World Poll,"
CEDLAS, Working Papers
0100, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Walter Sosa-Escudero & Mariana Marchionni & Sergio Olivieri, 2013. "Multidimensional poverty in Latin America and the Caribbean: new evidence from the Gallup World Poll," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 195-214, June.
- Mariana Marchionni & Germán Bet & Ana Pacheco, 2007. "Empleo, Educación y Entorno Social de los Jóvenes: Una Nueva Fuente de Información," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0061, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Rosangela Bando & Paul Gertler & Sebastián Galiani, 2014.
85234, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Akanksha Srivastava & Sanjay Mohanty, 2012. "Poverty Among Elderly in India," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 109(3), pages 493-514, December.
- Leopoldo Tornarolli & Adriana Conconi, 2007. "Informalidad y Movilidad Laboral: Un Análisis Empírico para Argentina," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0059, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Ricardo N. Bebczuk, 2008. "Dolarización y Pobreza en Ecuador," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0066, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Maribel Jimenez & Monica Jimenez, 2009. "La Movilidad Intergeneracional del Ingreso: Evidencia para Argentina," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0084, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Walter Sosa Escudero & Anil K. Bera, 2008. "Tests for Unbalanced Error Component Models Under Local Misspecication," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0065, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Javier Alejo, 2010. "Transición Demográfica y Pobreza en América Latina. Un Análisis de Microsimulaciones," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0108, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Diego Battiston & Francisco Franchetti, 2008. "Inequality in Health Coverage, Empirical Analysis with Microdata for Argentina 2006," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0063, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Javier Olivera & Blanca Zuluaga, 2013.
"The ex-ante effects of non-contributory pensions in Colombia and Peru,"
201314, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Javier Olivera & Blanca Zuluaga, 2013. "The ex-ante effects of non-contributory pensions in Colombia and Peru," Working Papers 299, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Ojimba, Thankgod Peter, 1. "Socio-Demographic Factors As Determinants Of Poverty In Crude Oil Polluted Crop Farms In Rivers State, Nigeria," International Journal of Food and Agricultural Economics (IJFAEC), Niğde University, Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, vol. 1.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.