Social pensions Part I : their role in the overall pension system
AbstractCash transfers for the elderly with little or no link to previous contribution, or work history are employed in many countries to provide income support for the elderly. In the context of the larger debate over pension reform, some argue that these'social pensions'are an effective way to deal with chronically low coverage of contributory schemes, and to alleviate poverty among the elderly. This paper reviews the global experience with social pensions. We find that coverage and cost of these programs varies widely, and that the appropriate role for social pensions should take into account several country-specific conditions. The extent of coverage of the contributory scheme, the extent of other social assistance programs, and the relative poverty status of the elderly are among the factors that should be considered. Design and implementation issues will be reviewed in Part II.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Social Protection Discussion Papers with number 36237.
Date of creation: 01 May 2006
Date of revision:
Poverty Impact Evaluation; Poverty Monitoring&Analysis; Services&Transfers to Poor; Insurance&Risk Mitigation; Rural Poverty Reduction;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Whitehouse, Edward, 2000.
"How poor are the old? a survey of evidence from 44 countries,"
Social Protection Discussion Papers
23141, The World Bank.
- Whitehouse, Edward, 2000. "How Poor are the Old? A Survey of Evidence from 44 Countries," MPRA Paper 14177, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John, Susan St. & Willmore, Larry, 2001. "Two Legs are Better than Three: New Zealand as a Model for Old Age Pensions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1291-1305, August.
- Palacios, Robert & Whitehouse, Edward, 2006. "Civil-service pension schemes around the world," MPRA Paper 14796, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Larry Willmore, 2004. "Universal Pensions in Mauritius: Lessons for the Rest of Us," Public Economics 0412003, EconWPA.
- Jagadeesh Gokhale & Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Alexi Sluchynsky, 2002.
"Does it pay to work?,"
0206, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- David Coady & Margaret Grosh & John Hoddinott, 2004. "Targeting of Transfers in Developing Countries : Review of Lessons and Experience," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14902, October.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Milanovic, Branko & Paternostro, Stefano, 1998. "Poverty and the economic transition : how do changes in economies of scale affect poverty rates for different households?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2009, The World Bank.
- Suzanne Doyle & Olivia S. Mitchell & John Piggott, 2001. "Annuity Values in Defined Contribution Retirement Systems: The Case of Singapore and Australia," NBER Working Papers 8091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sarmistha Pal & Robert Palacios, 2006.
"Old Age Poverty In The Indian States: What Do The Household Data Tell Us?,"
CEDI Discussion Paper Series
06-08, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Sarmistha Pal & Robert Palacios, 2006. "Old Age Poverty In The Indian States:What Do The Household Data Tell Us?," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 06-16, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Robalino, David & Whitehouse, Edward & Mataoanu, Anca & Musalem, Alberto & Sherwood, Elisabeth & Sluchynsky, Oleksiy, 2005.
"Pensions in the Middle East and North Africa: time for change,"
10448, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Robalino, 2005. "Pensions in the Middle East and North Africa: Time for Change," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7427, October.
- Dreze, Jean & Srinivasan, P. V., 1997. "Widowhood and poverty in rural India: Some inferences from household survey data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 217-234, December.
- Larry Willmore, 2004. "Universal Pensions in Low Income Countries," Public Economics 0412002, EconWPA.
- Irineu E. Carvalho Filho, 2008. "Household Income As a Determinant of Child Labor and School Enrollment in Brazil," IMF Working Papers 08/241, International Monetary Fund.
- Palacios, Robert J., 2003. "Pension reform in the Dominican Republic," Social Protection Discussion Papers 29140, The World Bank.
- GAUTIER, Axel & WAUTHY, Xavier Yves, .
"Competitively neutral universal service obligations,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2455, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gautier, Axel & Wauthy, Xavier, 2012. "Competitively neutral universal service obligations," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 254-261.
- Axel Gautier & Xavier Wauthy, 2010. "Competitively Neutral Universal Service Obligations," CREPP Working Papers 1008, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- GAUTIER, Axel & WAUTHY, Xavier, 2010. "Competitively neutral universal service obligations," CORE Discussion Papers 2010061, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Aaron George Grech, 2013.
"How best to measure pension adequacy,"
/172, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, LSE.
- Aaron George Grech, 2013. "How best to measure pension adequacy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 51270, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Grech, Aaron George, 2013. "How best to measure pension adequacy," MPRA Paper 46126, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vandeninden, Frieda, 2012. "A Simulation of Social Pensions in Europe," MERIT Working Papers 008, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Barrientos, Armando, 2012. "What is the Role of Social Pensions in Asia?," ADBI Working Papers 351, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Juergen Jung & Chung Tran, 2011.
"The Extension of Social Security Coverage in Developing Countries,"
2011-06, Towson University, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2011.
- Jung, Juergen & Tran, Chung, 2012. "The extension of social security coverage in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 439-458.
- Chung Tran & Juergen Jung, 2007. "The Extension of Social Security Coverage in Developing Countries," Caepr Working Papers 2007-026, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Whitehouse, Edward, 2009. "Pensions at a glance: Asia/Pacific," MPRA Paper 36134, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aaron George, Grech, 2014. "Pension policy design: The core issues," MPRA Paper 53662, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guy Standing, 2007. "How Cash Transfers Boost Work and Economic Security," Working Papers 58, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Fang Cai & John Giles & Philip O'Keefe & Dewen Wang, 2012. "The Elderly and Old Age Support in Rural China : Challenges and Prospects," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2249, October.
- Joya, N.E.A., 2007. "Dreams that do not come true: re-addressing social security to expand old-age social protection: the case of informal workers in El Salvador," ISS Working Papers - General Series 18755, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Frieda Vandeninden, 2010. "Social Pensions in Europe: The Aim, The Impact and The Cost," CREPP Working Papers 1007, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- repec:wbk:wbpubs:6007 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raiden C. Dillard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.