Performance and corporate governance in microfinance institutions
AbstractWe trace the relationship between firm performance and corporate governance in microfinance institutions (MFI) utilising a self constructed global data set on MFIs, collected from third-party rating agencies. We study the effect of board characteristics, ownership type, competition and regulation on the MFI's outreach to poor clients and its financial performance. The results show that split roles of CEO and chairman, a female CEO, and competition are important explanations. Larger board size decreases the average loan size while individual guaranteed loan increases it. No difference between nonprofit organisations and shareholder firms in financial performance and outreach is found.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 3888.
Date of creation: May 2007
Date of revision:
Microfinance; MFI; corporate governance; performance;
Other versions of this item:
- Mersland, Roy & Strøm, Reidar Øystein, 2007. "Performance and corporate governance in microfinance institutions," MPRA Paper 3887, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cull, Robert & Davis, Lance E. & Lamoreaux, Naomi R. & Rosenthal, Jean-Laurent, 2006.
"Historical financing of small- and medium-size enterprises,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 3017-3042, November.
- Robert Cull & Lance E. Davis & Naomi R. Lamoreaux & Jean-Laurent Rosenthal, 2005. "Historical Financing of Small- and Medium-Sized Enterprises," NBER Working Papers 11695, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 1996.
"Endogenously Chosen Boards of Directors and Their Monitoring of the CEO,"
9602001, EconWPA, revised 09 Oct 1996.
- Hermalin, Benjamin E & Weisbach, Michael S, 1998. "Endogenously Chosen Boards of Directors and Their Monitoring of the CEO," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 96-118, March.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 1996. "Endogenously Chosen Boards of Directors and Their Monitoring of the CEO," Working Papers _004, University of California at Berkeley, Haas School of Business.
- Yermack, David, 1996. "Higher market valuation of companies with a small board of directors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 185-211, February.
- Becht, Marco & Bolton, Patrick & Roell, Ailsa, 2003.
"Corporate governance and control,"
Handbook of the Economics of Finance,
in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 1-109
- Patrick Bolton & Marco Becht & Alisa Roell, 2002. "Corporate Governance and Control," NBER Working Papers 9371, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marco Becht & Patrick Bolton & Ailsa Röell, 2003. "Corporate governance and control," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/13330, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 1991.
"The Effects of Board Composition and Direct Incentives on Firm Performance,"
Financial Management Association, vol. 20(4), Winter.
- Hermalin, B.E. & Weisbech, M.S., 1991. "The Effects of Board Composition and Direct Incentives on Firm Performance," Papers 91-02, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Gary Gorton & Andrew Winton, 2002.
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
02-28, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2001.
"Boards of Directors as an Endogenously Determined Institution: A Survey of the Economic Literature,"
NBER Working Papers
8161, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2003. "Boards of directors as an endogenously determined institution: a survey of the economic literature," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 7-26.
- Mueller,Dennis C., 2003. "Public Choice III," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521894753, October.
- Hartarska, Valentina, 2005. "Governance and performance of microfinance institutions in Central and Eastern Europe and the Newly Independent States," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1627-1643, October.
- Brickley, James A. & Coles, Jeffrey L. & Jarrell, Gregg, 1997. "Leadership structure: Separating the CEO and Chairman of the Board," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 189-220, June.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randøy, Trond, 2001.
"The Impact of Foreign Board Membership on Firm Value,"
Working Paper Series
567, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randoy, Trond, 2003. "The impact of foreign board membership on firm value," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2369-2392, December.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Hartarska, Valentina M., 2005. "Governance and Performance of Microfinance Institutions in Central and Eastern Europe and the Newly Independent States," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24568, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2003:i:may:p:408-422 is not listed on IDEAS
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1998.
"The economics of small business finance: the roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1998-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- N. Berger, Allen & F. Udell, Gregory, 1998. "The economics of small business finance: The roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 613-673, August.
- Schmidt, Klaus M, 1997.
"Managerial Incentives and Product Market Competition,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(2), pages 191-213, April.
- Schmidt, Klaus M., 1996. "Managerial Incentives and Product Market Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 1382, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc Labie & Anaïs Périlleux, 2008. "Corporate governance in microfinance: credit unions," Working Papers CEB 08-003.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Desrochers, Martin & Fischer, Klaus P., 2002. "Corporate Governance and Depository Institutions Failure: the Case of an Emerging Market Economy," Cahiers de recherche 0201, CIRPEE.
- Iannotta, Giuliano & Nocera, Giacomo & Sironi, Andrea, 2007. "Ownership structure, risk and performance in the European banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2127-2149, July.
- repec:rus:hseeco:72155 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gutiérrez-Nieto, Begoña & Serrano-Cinca, Carlos & Mar Molinero, Cecilio, 2007. "Microfinance institutions and efficiency," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 131-142, April.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Mark Schreiner, 2001. "Aspects of Outreach: A Framework for the Discussion of the Social Benefits of Microfinance," Development and Comp Systems 0109003, EconWPA.
- Bouman, F. J. A., 1995. "Rotating and accumulating savings and credit associations: A development perspective," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 371-384, March.
- Mark Schreiner, 2002. "Aspects of outreach: a framework for discussion of the social benefits of microfinance," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 591-603.
- Robert Cull & Asli Demirguç-Kunt & Jonathan Morduch, 2007.
"Financial performance and outreach: a global analysis of leading microbanks,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F107-F133, 02.
- Cull, Robert & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Morduch, Jonathan, 2006. "Financial performance and outreach : a global analysis of leading microbanks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3827, The World Bank.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Jonathan Morduch, 2007. "The Economics of Microfinance," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512017, June.
- Koen Rossel-Cambier, 2012. "Can Combined Microfinance Boost Economic Results? An Empirical Cross-sectional Analysis," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 2, pages 79-94, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.