Econometric Analysis of Profitability of Microfinance Institutions in Selected Asian Countries
AbstractThis paper evaluates the effectiveness of some of the microfinance lending methodologies using the approach comparing these institutions among themselves in terms of how different lending methodologies influence their performance indicators. The results of this study with respect to different tested hypotheses are somewhat mixed but the general outcome is that rural lending and targeting women borrowers seem to have accomplished the goal whereas the effectiveness of group lending, in contrast to the initial expectation, was not confirmed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 51430.
Date of creation: 13 Nov 2013
Date of revision:
microfinance; Asia; profitability;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- P34 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Finance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-11-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2013-11-16 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-MFD-2013-11-16 (Microfinance)
- NEP-SEA-2013-11-16 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dean Karlan & Xavier Gine & Jonathan Morduch & Pamela Jakiela, 2006.
Working Papers, Economic Growth Center, Yale University
936, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Xavier Gin� & Pamela Jakiela & Dean Karlan & Jonathan Morduch, 2010. "Microfinance Games," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 60-95, July.
- Xavier Gine & Pamela Jakiela & Dean Karlan & Jonathan Morduch, 2006. "Microfinance Games," Working Papers, The Field Experiments Website 2102, The Field Experiments Website.
- Xavier Gine & Pamela Jakiela & Dean Karlan & Jonathan Morduch, 2006. "Microfinance games," Framed Field Experiments, The Field Experiments Website 00150, The Field Experiments Website.
- Gine, Xavier & Jakiela, Pamela & Karlan, Dean & Morduch, Jonathan, 2006. "Microfinance games," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3959, The World Bank.
- Wydick, Bruce, 1999. "Can Social Cohesion Be Harnessed to Repair Market Failures? Evidence from Group Lending in Guatemala," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(457), pages 463-75, July.
- Karel Janda & Barbora Svarovska, 2012. "Suitability of Microfinance as an Investment Option," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp470, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Lenka DOKULILOVÁ & Karel Janda & Pavel ZETEK, 2009.
"Sustainability of Microfinance Institutions in Financial Crisis,"
European Financial and Accounting Journal, University of Economics, Prague,
University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(2), pages 7-33.
- Dokulilova, Lenka & Janda, Karel & Zetek, Pavel, 2009. "Sustainability of microfinance institutions in financial crisis," MPRA Paper 17696, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mersland, Roy & Strøm, Reidar Øystein, 2007.
"Performance and corporate governance in microfinance institutions,"
3887, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mersland, Roy & Strøm, Reidar Øystein, 2007. "Performance and corporate governance in microfinance institutions," MPRA Paper 3888, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahlin, Christian & Lin, Jocelyn & Maio, Michael, 2011. "Where does microfinance flourish? Microfinance institution performance in macroeconomic context," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 105-120, July.
- Anthony Kyereboah-Coleman & Kofi A. Osei, 2008. "Outreach and profitability of microfinance institutions: the role of governance," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(3), pages 236-248, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.