Exiting the crisis in the right direction: A sustainable and shared prosperity plan for Europe
AbstractThis paper investigates the synergies between the policy response to the European crisis and the green economy. We begin by examining the causes of the European crisis, including the potential role played by resource constraints, in particular the rise in oil prices 2004-2008. Then we develop a matrix to assess the synergies between the crisis response and the green economy. We survey the literature on three green economy instruments, namely environmental fiscal reform, green investment and environmental innovation. We then assess their coherence with and potential contribution to the current crisis response.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 38802.
Date of creation: 14 May 2012
Date of revision:
European crisis; green economy; european climate policy; environmental fiscal reform; green stimulus;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2012-05-22 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-ENV-2012-05-22 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-RES-2012-05-22 (Resource Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romain Ranciere & Michael Kumhof, 2011.
"Inequality, Leverage and Crises,"
2011 Meeting Papers
1374, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Álvarez, Luis J. & Hurtado, Samuel & Sánchez, Isabel & Thomas, Carlos, 2011.
"The impact of oil price changes on Spanish and euro area consumer price inflation,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 422-431, January.
- Álvarez, Luis J. & Hurtado, Samuel & Sánchez, Isabel & Thomas, Carlos, 2011. "The impact of oil price changes on Spanish and euro area consumer price inflation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 422-431.
- Luis J. Álvarez & Samuel Hurtado & Isabel Sánchez & Carlos Thomas, 2009. "The impact of oil price changes on Spanish and euro area consumer price inflation," Banco de Espaï¿½a Occasional Papers 0904, Banco de Espa�a.
- Stéphane Hallegatte & Geoffrey Heal & Marianne Fay & David Treguer, 2012.
"From Growth to Green Growth - a Framework,"
NBER Working Papers
17841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raimund Bleischwitz, 2010. "International economics of resource productivity – Relevance, measurement, empirical trends, innovation, resource policies," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 227-244, August.
- Francesco Crespi & Valeria Costantini, 2007.
"Environmental Regulation and the Export Dynamics of Energy Technologies,"
2007.53, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Costantini, Valeria & Crespi, Francesco, 2008. "Environmental regulation and the export dynamics of energy technologies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 447-460, June.
- Costantini, Valeria & Crespi, Francesco, 2007. "Environmental regulation and the export dynamics of energy technologies," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200708, University of Turin.
- Mark Huberty & Georg Zachmann, 2011. "Green exports and the global product space: Prospects for EU industrial policy," Working Papers 556, Bruegel.
- Zsolt Darvas & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2011.
"Europe's Growth Emergency,"
IEHAS Discussion Papers
1144, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Rendahl, P., 2012. "Fiscal Policy in an Unemployment Crisis," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1211, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- European Commission, 2011. "Taxation trends in the European Union: 2011 edition," Taxation trends 2011, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
- Benedicta Marzinotto, 2011. "A European fund for economic revival in crisis countries," Policy Contributions 504, Bruegel.
- G. Peersman & I. Van Robays, 2009.
"Oil and the Euro Area Economy,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
09/582, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Gert Peersman & Ine Van Robays, 2010.
"Cross-Country Differences in the Effects of Oil Shocks,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3306, CESifo Group Munich.
- Peersman, Gert & Van Robays, Ine, 2012. "Cross-country differences in the effects of oil shocks," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1532-1547.
- G. Peersman & I. Van Robays, 2009. "Cross-Country Differences in the Effects of Oil Shocks," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/629, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Quirion Philippe & Jean-Charles Hourcade, 2004. "Does the CO2 emission trading directive threaten the competitiveness of European industry? Quantification and comparison to exchange rates fluctuations," Post-Print hal-00643411, HAL.
- Anil Markandya & Mikel González-Eguino & Marta Escapa, 2012. "Environmental Fiscal Reform and Unemployment in Spain," Working Papers 2012-04, BC3.
- Julie Rozenberg & Stéphane Hallegatte & Adrien Vogt-Schilb & Olivier Sassi & Céline Guivarch & Henri Waisman & Jean-Charles Hourcade, 2010.
"Climate policies as a hedge against the uncertainty on future oil supply,"
- Julie Rozenberg & Stéphane Hallegatte & Adrien Vogt-Schilb & Olivier Sassi & Céline Guivarch & Henri Waisman & Jean-Charles Hourcade, 2010. "Climate policies as a hedge against the uncertainty on future oil supply," CIRED Working Papers hal-00866449, HAL.
- Costantini, Valeria & Mazzanti, Massimiliano, 2012. "On the green and innovative side of trade competitiveness? The impact of environmental policies and innovation on EU exports," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 132-153.
- Nick Johnstone & Ivan Haščič & David Popp, 2010.
"Renewable Energy Policies and Technological Innovation: Evidence Based on Patent Counts,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 45(1), pages 133-155, January.
- Nick Johnstone & Ivan Hascic & David Popp, 2008. "Renewable Energy Policies And Technological Innovation: Evidence Based On Patent Counts," NBER Working Papers 13760, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ralf Martin & Laure B. de Preux & Ulrich J. Wagner, 2011. "The Impacts of the Climate Change Levy on Manufacturing: Evidence from Microdata," NBER Working Papers 17446, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baffes, John & Haniotis, Tassos, 2010. "Placing the 2006/08 commodity price boom into perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5371, The World Bank.
- Michael Jacobs, 2012. "Green Growth: Economic Theory and Political Discourse," Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment Working Papers 92, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.