Innovation and performance of Italian multinational enterprises of the “fourth capitalism”
AbstractThe aim of the contribution is to focus on the innovation of Italian medium and medium -large multinationals who represent the "fourth capitalism” and also to evaluate their performance. The enterprises of “fourth capitalism " are the set of medium and medium-large enterprises who seem to be stronger on foreign markets, either through exports or through foreign direct investment. The paper uses the data set from Mediobanca Research Unit to provide a descriptive analysis of the performance of Italian multinational enterprises of the "fourth capitalism", showing the complex approach to the internationalization of these enteprises, where innovation plays a key role. Flexibility and specialization in the production are also important elements that drive the decision to invest and produce abroad for these enterprises. The commercial dimension also plays a key role for the firms of the "fourth capitalism", as it leads to the direct control of foreign markets. The study points out that one of the strategic objectives of Italian multinationals of the “fourth capitalism” is their strong customer focus and organizational effort to provide their services to the customers, which require substantial investment in immaterial assets. Finally, the work highlights some external constraints that penalize the Italian multinational enterprises of the “fourth capitalism”, as the high cost of bureaucracy, excessive and unfair taxation, lack of support to internationalization by public institutions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 34916.
Date of creation: Nov 2011
Date of revision:
Italian multinational firms; fourth capitalism; innovation; internazionalization;
Other versions of this item:
- Daniele SCHILIRO, 2011. "Innovation And Performance Of Italian Multinational Enterprises Of The "Fourth Capitalism"," Journal of Advanced Research in Management, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(2), pages 89-103, December.
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2011-11-28 (Innovation)
- NEP-SBM-2011-11-28 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006.
"Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
12091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 2006. "Trade, FDI and the Organization of Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 5589, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006. "Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2118, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- James R. Tybout, 2001. "Plant- and Firm-Level Evidence on "New" Trade Theories," NBER Working Papers 8418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert C. Feenstra, .
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
Department of Economics
98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Colli Andrea, 2005. "Il quarto capitalismo," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 219-236.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Carlo Altomonte & Daniel Horgos & Daniela Maggioni, . "The global operations of European firms - The second EFIGE policy report," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 581, December.
- Francesca De Girolamo & Lucia Piscitello, 2010. "Il successo internazionale delle PMI italiane: quali competenze distintive?," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2010(3), pages 189-200.
- Daniele Schilirò, 2008. "Investing in Knowledge: Knowledge, Human Capital and Institutions for the Long Run Growth," CRANEC - Working Papers del Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale crn0804, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale (CRANEC).
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1988. "Innovation in Large and Small Firms: An Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 678-90, September.
- Daniele Schilirò & Maria Musca, 2010. "Le Medie Imprese Multinazionali del Quarto Capitalismo," CRANEC - Working Papers del Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale crn1002, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale (CRANEC).
- Matteo Bugamelli & Luigi Infante, 2003. "Sunk Costs of Exports," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 469, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Arndt, Sven W. & Kierzkowski, Henryk (ed.), 2001. "Fragmentation: New Production Patterns in the World Economy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199243310, September.
- Hagedoorn, John, 1995. "Strategic technology partnering during the 1980s: Trends, networks and corporate patterns in non-core technologies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 207-231, March.
- Daniele Schilirò & Giuseppe Timpanaro, 2012. "L’esperienza dei distretti produttivi in Sicilia nel triennio 2007-2010: un’analisi per macrosettori," CRANEC - Working Papers del Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale crn1201, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale (CRANEC).
- Daniele SCHILIRÒ, 2013. "Diversification And Development Of The United Arab Emirates' Economy," Journal of Applied Economic Sciences Quarterly, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(2), pages 228-239, July.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2013. "Diversification and development of the UAE’s economy," MPRA Paper 47089, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2013.
"I patti di sviluppo dei distretti produttivi in Sicilia: 2011-2013
[The development pacts of productive districts in Siciliy: 2011-2013]," MPRA Paper 43678, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniele SCHILIRÒ, 2012.
"Italian Medium-Sized Enterprises And The Fourth Capitalism,"
Journal of Applied Economic Sciences Quarterly,
ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(4), pages 437-446, December.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2012. "Italian medium-sized enterprises and the fourth capitalism," MPRA Paper 41399, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Musca, Maria & Schilirò, Daniele, 2012. "An investigation into medium-sized multinational enterprises," MPRA Paper 43012, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.