Le Medie Imprese Multinazionali del Quarto Capitalismo
AbstractThe paper provides an analysis of the internazionalization of medium-size italian industrial enterprises that aims to become multinational companies. This work takes inspiration from the essay by Mariotti and Mutinelli (2009) on the evolution of italian multinational enterprises and the role of “fourth capitalism”, but it differs from essay of these authors because it adopts different databases and it looks at many other variables apart from employment, which is instead the only variable used by Mariotti and Mutinelli. Moreover the present paper concentrates specifically on industrial multinational firms of “fourth capitalism”, that is the set of the medium and medium- large firms that mostly grow in the foreign markets either through exports or through foreign direct investment. It also offers an empirical descriptive picture regarding the performance of medium-size italian multinational enterprises with respect to large multinational companies and also against those medium size enterprises that are not multinational companies because they are poorly equipped to deal with the internationalization process in its complexity and its risks. However, the descriptive analysis provided allow us to draw a profile of medium-sized multinational companies characterized by a complex strategy towards internationalization, where innovation has a key role, but equally important are the flexibility and specialization in production, since even these latter elements guide the choices to invest and produce abroad. But it is also important the commercial dimension, that leads to point to the direct supervision of foreign markets and looking very carefully to customers, offering them a wide range of services. Finally the paper points out some critical issues such as high taxation, insufficient institutional support for internationalization, the high external costs, such as energy, lack of skilled human capital available in the labor market due to inadequate policy training.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale (CRANEC) in its series CRANEC - Working Papers del Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale with number crn1002.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: via Necchi, 5 (5o piano), 20123 Milano
Web page: http://centridiricerca.unicatt.it/cranec_1800.html?type=Workingpapers
More information through EDIRC
medium-size italian industrial enterprises; fourth capitalism; internationalization;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D8 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006.
"Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 44(3), pages 589-630, September.
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006. "Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2118, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006. "Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms," NBER Working Papers 12091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 2006. "Trade, FDI and the Organization of Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 5589, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Carlo Altomonte & Daniel Horgos & Daniela Maggioni, . "The global operations of European firms - The second EFIGE policy report," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 581, 11.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2011.
"Innovation and performance of Italian multinational enterprises of the “fourth capitalism”,"
34916, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniele SCHILIRO, 2011. "Innovation And Performance Of Italian Multinational Enterprises Of The "Fourth Capitalism"," Journal of Advanced Research in Management, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(2), pages 89-103, December.
- Daniele Schilirò, 2011.
"Performance e Profili delle Imprese Multinazionali del Quarto Capitalismo,"
CRANEC - Working Papers del Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale
crn1104, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale (CRANEC).
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2011.
"Performance e profili delle imprese multinazionali del quarto capitalismo
[Performance and profiles of the multinational firms of fourth capitalism]," MPRA Paper 30894, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2011. "Performance e profili delle imprese multinazionali del quarto capitalismo
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2012. "Italian medium-sized enterprises and the fourth capitalism," MPRA Paper 41399, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Musca, Maria & Schilirò, Daniele, 2012. "An investigation into medium-sized multinational enterprises," MPRA Paper 43012, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paolo Valentini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.