L’efficienza tecnico-economica dei servizi pubblici locali: i casi delle farmacie comunali e dei servizi di igiene urbana
[Technical And Economic Efficiency Of Local Public Services: The Cases Of The Municipals Pharmacies And Of The Integrated Waste Services]
AbstractThis study focuses on the technical and economic efficiency achieved in two local public service sectors: pharmaceutical services and integrated waste services. In the first study we also took in account the social dimension of the service as the health corner, the CUP service (e.g. Useful to book a medical examination), so in the analysis we calculated the relative levels of efficiency according to different point of views: "business", "social" and "mixed" models. Anyway in this study we do not include environmental variables, the most significant of which are difficult to collect. The second work focuses on the waste services; we estimated the economic and technological efficiency by comparing the city of Perugia to other relatively similar 23 Municipalities of the Center Italy, in this case, through a multi-stage approach, we included in the analyzes the environmental variables that can affect the efficiency of services. The analysis show that in the first case the efficiency scores for the business model showed greater variation if compared to the social and mixed models. The results of the second analysis show that the context variables have a significant influence on the efficiency measures. In particular highly seasonal tourism and high dispersion of the population on the territory negatively affect the efficiency. Suggestions for further research are provided in order to develop a more complete analysis of the local public services efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 34455.
Date of creation: 18 Oct 2010
Date of revision:
DEA; Efficiency; Two-stages approach; Bootstrap procedures; Environmental variables;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- H75 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Government: Health, Education, and Welfare
- H76 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Other Expenditure Categories
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Borger, Bruno & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 1996. "Cost efficiency of Belgian local governments: A comparative analysis of FDH, DEA, and econometric approaches," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 145-170, April.
- Emili Tortosa Ausina & Diego Prior & María Teresa Balaguer-Coll, 2004.
"On The Determinants Of Local Government Performance: A Two-Stage Nonparametric Approach,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
2004-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Balaguer-Coll, Maria Teresa & Prior, Diego & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2007. "On the determinants of local government performance: A two-stage nonparametric approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 425-451, February.
- Fare, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Roos, P., 1995. "Productivity and quality changes in Swedish pharmacies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 137-144, April.
- Wilson, Paul W, 1993. "Detecting Outliers in Deterministic Nonparametric Frontier Models with Multiple Outputs," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(3), pages 319-23, July.
- Léopold Simar, 2003. "Detecting Outliers in Frontier Models: A Simple Approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 391-424, November.
- Simona Bigerna & Paolo Polinori, 2008.
"Ambiente operativo ed efficienza nel settore del Trasporto Pubblico Locale in Italia,"
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
59/2008, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Simona Bigerna & Paolo Polinori, 2010. "Ambiente operativo ed efficienza nel settore del trasporto pubblico locale in Italia," SCIENZE REGIONALI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2010(3), pages 85-118.
- Bruce Hollingsworth, 2008. "The measurement of efficiency and productivity of health care delivery," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(10), pages 1107-1128.
- Beniamina Margari & Fabrizio Erbetta & Carmelo Petraglia & Massimiliano Piacenza, 2007.
"Regulatory and environmental effects on public transit efficiency: a mixed DEA-SFA approach,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 131-151, October.
- Beniamina Buzzo Margari & Fabrizio Erbetta & Carmelo Petraglia & Massimiliano Piacenza, 2006. "Regulatory and Environmental Effects on Public Transit Efficiency. A Mixed DEA-SFA Approach," CERIS Working Paper 200613, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 1993. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072181.
- Cazals, Catherine & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Simar, Leopold, 2002.
"Nonparametric frontier estimation: a robust approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Cazals, Catherine & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Simar, Léopold, 2002. "Nonparametric Frontier Estimation: A Robust Approach," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Ray, Subhash C., 1995. "Comments on Productivity and quality changes in Swedish pharmacies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 145-146, April.
- H. Fried & C. Lovell & S. Schmidt & S. Yaisawarng, 2002. "Accounting for Environmental Effects and Statistical Noise in Data Envelopment Analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 157-174, January.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Kokkelenberg, Edward C, 1989. "Measuring Plant Capacity, Utilization and Technical Change: A Nonparametric Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 655-66, August.
- Rajiv D. Banker & Richard C. Morey, 1986. "The Use of Categorical Variables in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(12), pages 1613-1627, December.
- Fisher N. I. & Switzer P., 2001. "Graphical Assessment of Dependence: Is a Picture Worth 100 Tests?," The American Statistician, American Statistical Association, vol. 55, pages 233-239, August.
- Lorenzo Boetti & Massimiliano Piacenza & Gilberto Turati, 2012.
"Decentralization and Local Governments' Performance: How Does Fiscal Autonomy Affect Spending Efficiency?,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 68(3), pages 269-302, September.
- Lorenzo Boetti & Massimiliano Piacenza & Gilberto Turati, 2010. "Decentralization and Local Governments’ Performance: How Does Fiscal Autonomy Affect Spending Efficiency?," Working papers 11, Former Department of Economics and Public Finance "G. Prato", University of Torino.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2005:i:15:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cinzia Daraio & Léopold Simar, 2005.
"Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 93-121, 09.
- Cinzia Daraio & Leopold Simar, 2003. "Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach," LEM Papers Series 2003/17, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Ruggiero, John, 1996. "On the measurement of technical efficiency in the public sector," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 553-565, May.
- Boame, Attah K., 2004. "The technical efficiency of Canadian urban transit systems," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 401-416, September.
- Bruce Hollingsworth & P.J. Dawson & N. Maniadakis, 1999. "Efficiency measurement of health care: a review of non‐parametric methods and applications," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 161-172, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.