Spacial Predation in the UK Newspaper Industry
AbstractThis paper investigates the alleged predatory behaviour in the UK quality newspaper industry in the 1990s using a horizontal differentiation model and industry data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 3242.
Date of creation: 17 Aug 2007
Date of revision: 15 Apr 2007
Two-Sided Markets; Predation; Newspapers;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L12 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Monopoly; Monopolization Strategies
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2007-05-19 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CUL-2007-05-19 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2007-05-19 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Armstrong, 2005.
"Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
- Mark Armstrong Author-Email: email@example.com Author-Workplace-Name: University College of London, 2006. "Competition in Two-Sided Markets," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 668-691, Autumn.
- Mark Armstrong, 2006. "Competition in two‐sided markets," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 668-691, 09.
- Armstrong, M., 2006. "Competition in two-sided markets," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Paul Milgrom & John Roberts, 1997.
"Predation, reputation , and entry deterrence,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1460, David K. Levine.
- Edward J Green & Robert H Porter, 1997.
"Noncooperative Collusion Under Imperfect Price Information,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1147, David K. Levine.
- Green, Edward J & Porter, Robert H, 1984. "Noncooperative Collusion under Imperfect Price Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 87-100, January.
- Green, Edward J. & Porter, Robert H., 1982. "Noncooperative Collusion Under Imperfect Price Information," Working Papers 367, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- ANDERSON, Simon P. & GABSZEWICZ, Jean J., 2005.
"The media and advertising : a tale of two-sided markets,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2005088, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anderson, Simon P. & Gabszewicz, Jean J., 2006. "The Media and Advertising: A Tale of Two-Sided Markets," Handbook of the Economics of Art and Culture, Elsevier.
- Anderson, Simon P & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold, 2005. "The Media and Advertising: A Tale of Two-Sided Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 5223, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- ANDERSON, Simon P. & GABSZEWICZ, Jean J., . "The media and advertising: a tale of two-sidedmarkets," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1888, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simon P., ANDERSON & Jean J., GABSZEWICZ, 2005. "The media and advertising : a table of two-sided markets," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2005060, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- d'Aspremont, C & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, J-F, 1979.
"On Hotelling's "Stability in Competition","
Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1145-50, September.
- Kreps, David M. & Wilson, Robert, 1982.
"Reputation and imperfect information,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 253-279, August.
- Elena Argentesi & Lapo Filistrucchi, 2005.
"Estimating market power in a two-sided market: the case of newspapers,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2005/07, European University Institute.
- Elena Argentesi & Lapo Filistrucchi, 2007. "Estimating market power in a two-sided market: The case of newspapers," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 1247-1266.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Wright, Julian, 2004.
"Price Structure in Two-sided Markets: Evidence from the Magazine Industry?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
04-80, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Wright, Julian, 2006. "Price structure in two-sided markets: Evidence from the magazine industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-28, January.
- John Sutton, 2007. "Market Share Dynamics and the "Persistence of Leadership" Debate," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(1), pages 222-241, March.
- Simon P. Anderson & Andre De Palma & Gap-Seon Hong, 1992. "Firm Mobility and Location Equilibrium," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(1), pages 76-88, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.