The trends of labor market in Bangladesh and its determinants
AbstractIn this paper, we have tried to find out specially the features of unemployment-underemployment scenario. As we know, like auction market labor market is not perfectly competitive. For various heterogeneities, it has some distinct features. In Bangladesh, unemployment and underemployment problems arrive due to the lack of effective demand for labor. Hence, in this paper we desire to focus the demand determinants of labor in Bangladesh. In this case, we have emphasized on manufacturing sector, which is the emerging sector of Bangladesh economy both from the employment generation and from economic growth perspectives. To estimate the demand determinants we have used ARDL model where the estimation period is from 1980 to 2002.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 32381.
Date of creation: 29 Mar 2009
Date of revision:
Unemployment; ARDL; Manufacturing Sector;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- J01 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics: General
- M51 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Firm Employment Decisions; Promotions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Iyanatul ISLAM, 2005. "Circumventing macroeconomic conservatism: A policy framework for growth, employment and poverty reduction," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, International Labour Organization, vol. 144(1), pages 55-84, 03.
- Hossain, Mahabub, 1988. "Nature and impact of the Green Revolution in Bangladesh:," Research reports, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) 67, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ahmed, Iqbal, 1981. "Wage Determination in Bangladesh Agriculture," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(2), pages 298-322, July.
- Fiona Tregenna, 2008. "The Contributions Of Manufacturing And Services To Employment Creation And Growth In South Africa," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 76(s2), pages S175-S204, 08.
- Robert E. Hall, 1970. "Why Is the Unemployment Rate So High at Full Employment?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 1(3), pages 369-410.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.