Monetary aggregates in Pakistan: theoretical and empirical underpinnings
AbstractThe objective of this study is to analyze theoretical as well as empirical soundness of the current monetary aggregates (M2) and to propose a broader monetary aggregate (M3), by exploring the functional characteristics and empirical relevance of financial assets. We used annual time series data from FY76 to FY03 and employed both the functional and empirical (F-M dual criteria) approaches. The results indicate that current monetary aggregates seemed to have been defined more on functional considerations compared to the empirical evidence. The analysis of new set of financial assets suggests that, while the various savings schemes individually as well as in aggregate were able to meet F-M dual criteria, deposits of NBFIs failed to satisfy this criteria. However, the functional considerations suggest that these deposits should, nevertheless, be included in a broader definition of monetary aggregates (M3).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 31430.
Date of creation: Apr 2005
Date of revision: 2005
Monetary Aggregates; Pakistan;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E51 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Money Supply; Credit; Money Multipliers
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laumas, Gurcharan S, 1969. "Savings Deposits in the Definition of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(6), pages 892-96, Nov./Dec..
- Alfred Broaddus, 1975. "Aggregating the monetary aggregates : concepts and issues," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Nov.
- NAJAM us SAQIB & ALlY A H. KHAN, 1988. "On an Empirical Definition of Money for Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 27(4), pages 853-859.
- John R. Walter, 1989. "Monetary aggregates: a user's guide," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Jan, pages 20-28.
- Koot, Ronald S, 1975. "A Factor Analytic Approach to an Empirical Definition of Money," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1081-89, September.
- Ewe-Ghee Lim & Subramanian S. Sriram, 2003. "Factors Underlying the Definition of Broad Money: An Examination of Recent U.S. Monetary Statistics and Practices of Other Countries," IMF Working Papers 03/62, International Monetary Fund.
- Syed Muhammad Tariq & Kent Matthews, 1997. "The Demand for Simple-sum and Divisia Monetary Aggregates for Pakistan: A Cointegration Approach," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 36(3), pages 275-291.
- Moroney, John R & Wilbratte, Barry J, 1976. "Money and Money Substitutes: A Time Series Analysis of Household Portfolios," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 8(2), pages 181-98, May.
- Laidler, David, 1969. "The Definition of Money: Theoretical and Empirical Problems," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(3), pages 508-25, August.
- Milton Friedman & Anna Jacobson Schwartz, 1970. "Introduction to "Monetary Statistics of the United States: Estimates, Sources, Methods"," NBER Chapters, in: Monetary Statistics of the United States: Estimates, Sources, Methods, pages 1-86 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Khan, Rana Ejaz Ali & Gill, Abid Rashid, 2007. "Impact of Supply of Money on Food and General Price Indices: A Case of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 16293, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.