FDI in the Service Sector – Propagator of Growth for India?
AbstractThe last two decades have witnessed an unprecedented growth of the Indian service sector. This paper aims to analyze the growth dynamics. This study intends to see whether the growth in FDI has any significant impact on the service sector growth and also investigates whether a growth in this sector causes the GDP to grow. The results suggest that there has been a significant positive impact of the FDI on services sector and this service sector growth has in turn a significant effect on the GDP. The study also looks into the sub-sectoral dynamics and indicates towards the fact that the trade, hotels and restaurants, transport, storage and communications sub-sector contributes the most in the growth of Indian service sector. Therefore FDI can be truly be used as a propagator of economic growth, via its favourable effect on the growth in the services sector. Finally, the study addresses the long running sustainability debate regarding the Indian service sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 30574.
Date of creation: 18 Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Service sector; FDI; Economic growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-FDG-2011-05-14 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-INT-2011-05-14 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009.
"The Two Waves of Service Sector Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
14968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Bosworth & Susan M. Collins & Arvind Virmani, 2007.
"Sources of Growth in the Indian Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
12901, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.