The Two Waves of Service-Sector Growth
AbstractThis paper will hopefully provide an important methodological tool for all researchers who may be attempting to analyze and explain the growth of the service sector and its share in the Indian GDP over the past decades. [ICRIER WP no. 235].
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:1934.
Date of creation: May 2009
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
India; regressions; middle income; democratic; urbanization; service sector; GDP; Indian; per capita income; banking; insurance; financial services;
Other versions of this item:
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service Sector Growth," NBER Working Papers 14968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service-Sector Growth," Development Economics Working Papers 22914, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2009-05-23 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-FDG-2009-05-23 (Financial Development & Growth)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francisco J. Buera & Joseph P. Kaboski, 2006.
"The Rise of the Service Economy,"
2006 Meeting Papers
496, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Kuznets, Simon, 1973.
"Modern Economic Growth: Findings and Reflections,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 247-58, June.
- Syrquin, M. & Chenery, H.B., 1989. "Patterns Of Development, 1950 To 1983," World Bank - Discussion Papers 41, World Bank.
- Kongsamut, Piyabha & Rebelo, Sérgio & Xie, Danyang, 1997.
"Beyond Balanced Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1693, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kongsamut, P. & Rebelo, S. & Xie, D., 1997. "Beyong Balanced Growth," RCER Working Papers 438, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Piyabha Kongsamut & Sergio Rebelo & Danyang Xie, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," NBER Working Papers 6159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sergio Rebelo & Piyabha Kongsamut & Danyang Xie, 2001. "Beyond Balanced Growth," IMF Working Papers 01/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Francisco J. Buera & Joseph Kaboski, 2008.
"Scale and the origins of structural change,"
Working Paper Series
WP-08-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- John Luke Gallup & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Mellinger, 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," CID Working Papers 1, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Gallup, J.L. & Sachs, J.D. & Mullinger, A., 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," Papers 1, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Allan G. B. Fisher, 1939. "Production, Primary, Secondary And Tertiary," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 15(1), pages 24-38, 06.
- van Ark, Bart, 1998. "Productivity," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 171-174, June.
- Ark, Bart van & Inklaar, Robert & McGuckin, Robert H., 2003. "ICT and productivity in Europe and the United States," CCSO Working Papers 200311, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- J. Bradford Jensen & Lori G. Kletzer, 2005. "Tradable Services: Understanding the Scope and Impact of Services Outsourcing," Working Paper Series WP05-9, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- repec:nrb:journl:v:24:y:2012:i:2:p:2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Krushna Mohan Pattanaik, 2010. "Challenges and Prospects in the Measurement of Trade in Services," Working Papers 241, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Achim Schmillen, 2011.
"Are Wages Equal Across Sectors of Production? A Panel Data Analysis for Tradable and Non-Tradable Goods,"
102, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Achim Schmillen, 2010. "Are Wages Equal Across Sectors of Production? A Panel Data Analysis for Tradable and Non-Tradable Goods," Working Papers 285, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Zheng, Jianghuai & Zhang, Lili & Wang, Yu, 2010. "The underdevelopment of service industry in China: an empirical study of cities in Yangtze River Delta," MPRA Paper 33125, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2011.
- Gupta, Poonam & Kumar, Utsav, 2010. "Performance of Indian Manufacturing in the Post Reform Period," MPRA Paper 24898, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexander Vogel & Joachim Wagner, 2012.
"The Quality of the KombiFiD-Sample of Business Services Enterprises: Evidence from a Replication Study,"
Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften,
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 132(3), pages 393-403.
- Alexander Vogel & Joachim Wagner, 2012. "The Quality of the KombiFiD-Sample of Business Services Enterprises: Evidence from a Replication Study," Working Paper Series in Economics 226, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Gupta, Poonam, 2012.
"Exports of Services: Indian Experience in Perspective,"
37409, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2013. "Exports of services: Indian experience in perspective," Indian Growth and Development Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 6(1), pages 35-60, March.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Gupta, Poonam, 2012. "Exports of Services: Indian Experience in Perspective," Working Papers 12/102, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Arvind Panagariya, 2014. "Trade Liberalization in Manufacturing and Accelerated Growth in Services in India," NBER Working Papers 19923, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Prof. Frank Westermann Ph.D., 2012. "Linkages between Sectoral Output Growth and Financial Development in Nepal," NRB Economic Review, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department, vol. 24(2), pages 15-30, October.
- Jianghuai Zheng & Lili Zhang & Yu Wang, 2011. "The underdevelopment of service industry in china: An empirical study of cities in Yangtze River Delta," Frontiers of Economics in China, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 413-446, September.
- Fernando Alexandre & Pedro Bação, 2012.
"Portugal Before and After the European Union: Facts on Nontradables,"
GEMF Working Papers
2013-02, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Fernando Alexandre & Pedro Bação, 2012. "Portugal before and after the European Union: Facts on Nontradables," NIPE Working Papers 15/2012, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Sen, Chitrakalpa, 2011. "FDI in the Service Sector – Propagator of Growth for India?," MPRA Paper 30574, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.