The two waves of service-sector growth
AbstractAlthough the positive association between the service sector share of output and per capita income is one of the best-known regularities in all of growth and development economics, there is less than complete agreement on the nature of that association. We identify two waves of service sector growth: a first wave in countries with relatively low levels of per capita GDP; and a second in countries with higher per capita incomes. The first wave is made up primarily of traditional services, the second of modern services. In addition, there is evidence of the second wave occurring at lower income levels after 1990, especially so in democracies, in countries that are open to trade, and in countries close to global financial centres. This points to both political and economic conditions that can help countries capitalize on the opportunities afforded by a globalized post-industrial economy. Copyright 2013 Oxford University Press 2011 All rights reserved, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 65 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service Sector Growth," NBER Working Papers 14968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service-Sector Growth," Development Economics Working Papers 22914, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service-Sector Growth," Working Papers id:1934, eSocialSciences.
- O0 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - General
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Syrquin, M. & Chenery, H.B., 1989. "Patterns Of Development, 1950 To 1983," World Bank - Discussion Papers 41, World Bank.
- Francisco J. Buera & Joseph P. Kaboski, 2006.
"The Rise of the Service Economy,"
2006 Meeting Papers
496, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Kongsamut, P. & Rebelo, S. & Xie, D., 1997.
"Beyong Balanced Growth,"
RCER Working Papers
438, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Piyabha Kongsamut & Sergio Rebelo & Danyang Xie, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," NBER Working Papers 6159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kongsamut, Piyabha & Rebelo, Sérgio & Xie, Danyang, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1693, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sergio Rebelo & Piyabha Kongsamut & Danyang Xie, 2001. "Beyond Balanced Growth," IMF Working Papers 01/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Ark, Bart van & Inklaar, Robert & McGuckin, Robert H., 2003. "ICT and productivity in Europe and the United States," CCSO Working Papers 200311, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Kuznets, Simon, 1971.
"Modern Economic Growth: Findings and Reflections,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1971-2, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Buera, Francisco J. & Kaboski, Joseph P., 2012.
"Scale and the origins of structural change,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 684-712.
- Gallup, J.L. & Sachs, J.D. & Mullinger, A., 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," Papers 1, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- J. Bradford Jensen & Lori G. Kletzer, 2005. "Tradable Services: Understanding the Scope and Impact of Services Outsourcing," Working Paper Series WP05-9, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- van Ark, Bart, 1998. "Productivity," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 171-174, June.
- John Luke Gallup & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Mellinger, 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," CID Working Papers 1, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Allan G. B. Fisher, 1939. "Production, Primary, Secondary And Tertiary," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 15(1), pages 24-38, 06.
- Zheng, Jianghuai & Zhang, Lili & Wang, Yu, 2010. "The underdevelopment of service industry in China: an empirical study of cities in Yangtze River Delta," MPRA Paper 33125, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2011.
- Fernando Alexandre & Pedro Bação, 2012.
"Portugal Before and After the European Union: Facts on Nontradables,"
GEMF Working Papers
2013-02, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Fernando Alexandre & Pedro Bação, 2012. "Portugal before and after the European Union: Facts on Nontradables," NIPE Working Papers 15/2012, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Alexander Vogel & Joachim Wagner, 2012.
"The Quality of the KombiFiD-Sample of Business Services Enterprises: Evidence from a Replication Study,"
Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften,
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 132(3), pages 393-403.
- Alexander Vogel & Joachim Wagner, 2012. "The Quality of the KombiFiD-Sample of Business Services Enterprises: Evidence from a Replication Study," Working Paper Series in Economics 226, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Gupta, Poonam, 2012.
"Exports of Services: Indian Experience in Perspective,"
12/102, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2013. "Exports of services: Indian experience in perspective," Indian Growth and Development Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 6(1), pages 35-60, March.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Gupta, Poonam, 2012. "Exports of Services: Indian Experience in Perspective," MPRA Paper 37409, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Achim Schmillen, 2011.
"Are Wages Equal Across Sectors of Production? A Panel Data Analysis for Tradable and Non-Tradable Goods,"
102, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Achim Schmillen, 2010. "Are Wages Equal Across Sectors of Production? A Panel Data Analysis for Tradable and Non-Tradable Goods," Working Papers 285, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Prof. Frank Westermann Ph.D., 2012. "Linkages between Sectoral Output Growth and Financial Development in Nepal," NRB Economic Review, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department, vol. 24(2), pages 15-30, October.
- Jianghuai Zheng & Lili Zhang & Yu Wang, 2011. "The underdevelopment of service industry in china: An empirical study of cities in Yangtze River Delta," Frontiers of Economics in China, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 413-446, September.
- Krushna Mohan Pattanaik, 2010. "Challenges and Prospects in the Measurement of Trade in Services," Working Papers 241, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- repec:nrb:journl:v:24:y:2012:i:2:p:2 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.