The Two Waves of Service-Sector Growth
AbstractThe positive association between the service sector share of output and per capita income is one of the best-known regularities in all of growth and development economics. Yet there is less than complete agreement on the nature of that association. Here we identify two waves of service sector growth, a first wave in countries with relatively low levels of per capita GDP and a second wave in countries with higher per capita incomes. The first wave appears to be made up primarily of traditional services, the second wave of modern (financial, communication, computer, technical, legal, advertising and business) services that are receptive to the application of information technologies and increasingly tradable across borders. In addition, there is evidence of the second wave occurring at lower income levels after 1990. But this change in the second wave is not equally evident in all economies : it is most apparent in democracies, in countries that are open to trade, and in those that are relatively close to the major global financial centers. This points to both political and economic conditions that can help countries capitalize on the opportunities afforded by an increasingly globalized post-industrial economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Development Economics Working Papers with number 22914.
Date of creation: Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Services; Growth; Structural change; traditional services modern services;
Other versions of this item:
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francisco J. Buera & Joseph P. Kaboski, 2012.
"The Rise of the Service Economy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 102(6), pages 2540-69, October.
- Kongsamut, Piyabha & Rebelo, Sergio & Xie, Danyang, 2001.
"Beyond Balanced Growth,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(4), pages 869-82, October.
- Piyabha Kongsamut & Sergio Rebelo & Danyang Xie, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," NBER Working Papers 6159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sergio Rebelo & Piyabha Kongsamut & Danyang Xie, 2001. "Beyond Balanced Growth," IMF Working Papers 01/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Kongsamut, P. & Rebelo, S. & Xie, D., 1997. "Beyong Balanced Growth," RCER Working Papers 438, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Kongsamut, Piyabha & Rebelo, Sérgio & Xie, Danyang, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1693, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ark, Bart van & Inklaar, Robert & McGuckin, Robert H., 2003. "ICT and productivity in Europe and the United States," CCSO Working Papers 200311, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Kuznets, Simon, 1973.
"Modern Economic Growth: Findings and Reflections,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 247-58, June.
- Gallup, J.L. & Sachs, J.D. & Mullinger, A., 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," Papers 1, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Buera, Francisco J. & Kaboski, Joseph P., 2012.
"Scale and the origins of structural change,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 684-712.
- J. Bradford Jensen & Lori G. Kletzer, 2005. "Tradable Services: Understanding the Scope and Impact of Services Outsourcing," Working Paper Series WP05-9, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- John Luke Gallup & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Mellinger, 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," CID Working Papers 1, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- van Ark, Bart, 1998. "Productivity," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 171-174, June.
- Syrquin, M. & Chenery, H.B., 1989. "Patterns Of Development, 1950 To 1983," World Bank - Discussion Papers 41, World Bank.
- Allan G. B. Fisher, 1939. "Production, Primary, Secondary And Tertiary," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 15(1), pages 24-38, 06.
- Zheng, Jianghuai & Zhang, Lili & Wang, Yu, 2010. "The underdevelopment of service industry in China: an empirical study of cities in Yangtze River Delta," MPRA Paper 33125, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2011.
- Achim Schmillen, 2011.
"Are Wages Equal Across Sectors of Production? A Panel Data Analysis for Tradable and Non-Tradable Goods,"
102, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Achim Schmillen, 2010. "Are Wages Equal Across Sectors of Production? A Panel Data Analysis for Tradable and Non-Tradable Goods," Working Papers 285, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Fernando Alexandre & Pedro Bação, 2012.
"Portugal Before and After the European Union: Facts on Nontradables,"
GEMF Working Papers
2013-02, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Fernando Alexandre & Pedro Bação, 2012. "Portugal before and after the European Union: Facts on Nontradables," NIPE Working Papers 15/2012, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2013.
"Exports of services: Indian experience in perspective,"
Indian Growth and Development Review,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 6(1), pages 35-60, March.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Gupta, Poonam, 2012. "Exports of Services: Indian Experience in Perspective," MPRA Paper 37409, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Gupta, Poonam, 2012. "Exports of Services: Indian Experience in Perspective," Working Papers 12/102, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Sen, Chitrakalpa, 2011. "FDI in the Service Sector – Propagator of Growth for India?," MPRA Paper 30574, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Krushna Mohan Pattanaik, 2010. "Challenges and Prospects in the Measurement of Trade in Services," Working Papers 241, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Arvind Panagariya, 2014. "Trade Liberalization in Manufacturing and Accelerated Growth in Services in India," NBER Working Papers 19923, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:nrb:journl:v:24:y:2012:i:2:p:2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alexander Vogel & Joachim Wagner, 2012.
"The Quality of the KombiFiD-Sample of Business Services Enterprises: Evidence from a Replication Study,"
Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften,
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 132(3), pages 393-403.
- Alexander Vogel & Joachim Wagner, 2012. "The Quality of the KombiFiD-Sample of Business Services Enterprises: Evidence from a Replication Study," Working Paper Series in Economics 226, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Jianghuai Zheng & Lili Zhang & Yu Wang, 2011. "The underdevelopment of service industry in china: An empirical study of cities in Yangtze River Delta," Frontiers of Economics in China, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 413-446, September.
- Prof. Frank Westermann Ph.D., 2012. "Linkages between Sectoral Output Growth and Financial Development in Nepal," NRB Economic Review, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department, vol. 24(2), pages 15-30, October.
- Gupta, Poonam & Kumar, Utsav, 2010. "Performance of Indian Manufacturing in the Post Reform Period," MPRA Paper 24898, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.