Environmental-Regulation Pricing Strategies for Green Supply Chain Management
AbstractThis paper demonstrates that a proper design of environmental-regulation pricing strategies is able to promote Extended Product Responsibility for green supply chain firms in a competitive market. A differential game model comprising Vidale-Wolfe equation has been established in light of sales competition and recycling dynamics as well as regulation related profit function. Analytic solutions of Markovian Nash equilibriums are provided with the necessary condition derived from Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman equations. We found that governments should opt to gradually raise regulation standards so that rational manufacturers will gradually improve its product recyclability, and, in turn, Extended Product Responsibility will get promoted.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 25255.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review 5.45(2009): pp. 667-677
WEEE; E-waste; Incentive Mechanism; Competitive Market; Extended Production Responsibility; Differential Game; Optimal Control;
Other versions of this item:
- Chen, Yenming J. & Sheu, Jiuh-Biing, 2009. "Environmental-regulation pricing strategies for green supply chain management," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(5), pages 667-677, September.
- C73 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Stochastic and Dynamic Games; Evolutionary Games
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fullerton, Don & Wu, Wenbo, 1998.
"Policies for Green Design,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 131-148, September.
- Dockner,Engelbert J. & Jorgensen,Steffen & Long,Ngo Van & Sorger,Gerhard, 2000. "Differential Games in Economics and Management Science," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521637329, October.
- Palmer, Karen & Walls, Margaret, 1999. "Extended Product Responsibility: An Economic Assessment of Alternative Policies," Discussion Papers dp-99-12, Resources For the Future.
- Walls, Margaret, 2003. "The Role of Economics in Extended Producer Responsibility: Making Policy Choices and Setting Policy Goals," Discussion Papers dp-03-11, Resources For the Future.
- Carter, Craig R. & Jennings, Marianne M., 2002. "Social responsibility and supply chain relationships," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 37-52, January.
- Sheu, Jiuh-Biing & Chou, Yi-Hwa & Hu, Chun-Chia, 2005. "An integrated logistics operational model for green-supply chain management," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 287-313, July.
- Kriwet, A. & Zussman, E. & Seliger, G., 1995. "Systematic integration of design-for-recycling into product design," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 15-22, March.
- Chongwoo Choe & Iain Fraser, 2001. "On the Flexibility of Optimal Policies for Green Design," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 18(4), pages 367-371, April.
- Palmer, Karen & Walls, Margaret, 1997. "Optimal policies for solid waste disposal Taxes, subsidies, and standards," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 193-205, August.
- Duchin, Faye & Lange, Glenn-Marie, 1995. "The Future of the Environment: Ecological Economics and Technological Change," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195085747.
- Vogelsang, Ingo, 2002. "Incentive Regulation and Competition in Public Utility Markets: A 20-Year Perspective," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 5-27, July.
- Adam B. Jaffe et al., 1995. "Environmental Regulation and the Competitiveness of U.S. Manufacturing: What Does the Evidence Tell Us?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 132-163, March.
- Foulon, Jerome & Lanoie, Paul & Laplante, Benoit, 2002. "Incentives for Pollution Control: Regulation or Information?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 169-187, July.
- Mukhopadhyay, Samar K. & Setaputra, Robert, 2007. "A dynamic model for optimal design quality and return policies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 180(3), pages 1144-1154, August.
- Rika Ampuh Hadiguna, 2012. "Decision support framework for risk assessment of sustainable supply chain," International Journal of Logistics Economics and Globalisation, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1/2), pages 35-54.
- Chen, Yenming & Wu, Tien-Hua, 2010. "The diffusion dynamics of the informal sector and sustainable WEEE supply chain," MPRA Paper 25650, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nazzal, Dima & Batarseh, Ola & Patzner, Joshua & Martin, Darren R., 2013. "Product servicing for lifespan extension and sustainable consumption: An optimization approach," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 105-114.
- Gunasekaran, Angappa & Spalanzani, Alain, 2012. "Sustainability of manufacturing and services: Investigations for research and applications," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 35-47.
- Hassini, Elkafi & Surti, Chirag & Searcy, Cory, 2012. "A literature review and a case study of sustainable supply chains with a focus on metrics," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 69-82.
- Chen, Yenming & Wu, Tien-Hua, 2010. "Effective e-waste management-The role of international cooperation and fragementation," MPRA Paper 25902, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.