Why Decentralization ? The Puzzle of causation
AbstractMost countries especially the developing ones around the world are facing external as well as internal pressures to decentralize and are actually becoming part of the trend which if not universal is nonetheless the dominant trend. General causes include systemic forces like democratization and economic development; specifc causes however are different for different countries. In some countries the policies of opening up of economy and policies devised to deal with the challenges posed by new ‘globalized’ world are interacting with domestic political and economic institutions in such a way so as to create incentives for decentralization. In addition there is external pressure coming from IMF and WB who implicitly and explicitly have declared ‘decentralization’ as their most favoured policy prescription especially for the developing world.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 196.
Date of creation: 17 May 2004
Date of revision: Feb 2005
Publication status: Published in SYNTHESIS NO (1).Vol (3(2005): pp. 1-17
Decentralization; Causes; Globalization; IMF; WB;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Z0 - Other Special Topics - - General
- H1 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government
- H11 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Structure and Scope of Government
- H7 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
- H8 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues
- H83 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - Public Administration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roy Bahl, 1999.
"Implementation Rules For Fiscal Decentralization,"
International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU
paper9901, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Roy Bahl, 1999. "Implementation Rules For Fiscal Decentralization," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper9803, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bolton, Patrick, 1992. "An Incomplete Contracts Approach to Financial Contracting," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 473-94, July.
- Grasa, Rafael & Camps, Arnau, 2009. "Conflict Prevention and Decentralized Governance," MPRA Paper 18877, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sharma, Chanchal Kumar, 2008. "Emerging Dimensions Of Decentralization Debate In The Age Of Glocalization," MPRA Paper 6734, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan, 2009. "Supranational Integration And National Reorganization," MPRA Paper 21597, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thushyanthan Baskaran, 2010. "Supranational integration and national reorganization: On the Maastricht treaty’s impact on fiscal decentralization in EU countries," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 309-335, December.
- Thushyanthan Baskaran, 2010.
"On the link between fiscal decentralization and public debt in OECD countries,"
Springer, vol. 145(3), pages 351-378, December.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan, 2010. "On the Link Between Fiscal Decentralization and Public Debt in OECD Countries," MPRA Paper 21599, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abdul Jalil, Ahmad Zafarullah, 2009. "Decentralization, Subnational Governments' Behaviour and Macroeconomic Instability: The Case of Malaysia," MPRA Paper 19071, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Plata, Mar de, 2009.
"Reunión Comisión de Descentralización y Autonomía Local Congreso FLACMA
[Reunion Committee on Decentralization and Local Autonomy]," MPRA Paper 16563, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Libman, Alexander Mikhailovich, 2009.
"Эндогенные Границы И Распределение Власти В Федерациях И Международных Сообществах
[ENDOGENOUS BOUNDARIES AND DISTRIBUTION O," MPRA Paper 16473, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.