Communication, Coordination and Networks
AbstractWe study experimentally how the network structure and length of pre-play communication affect behavior and outcome in a multi-player coordination game with conflicting preferences. Network structure matters but the interaction between network and time effects is more subtle. Under each time treatment, substantial variations are observed in both the rate of coordination and distribution of coordinated outcomes across networks. But increasing the communication length improves both efficiency an equity of coordination. In all treatments, coordination is mostly explained by convergence in communication. We also identify behaviors that explain variations in the distribution of coordinated outcomes both within and across networks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 19055.
Date of creation: 20 Nov 2009
Date of revision:
experiment; pre-play communication; coordination; network; efficiency; equity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C92 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Laboratory, Group Behavior
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-12-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-EXP-2009-12-19 (Experimental Economics)
- NEP-GTH-2009-12-19 (Game Theory)
- NEP-SOC-2009-12-19 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeanne Hagenbach & Frédéric Koessler, 2009.
"Strategic communication networks,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
09005, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Jeanne Hagenbach & Frédéric Koessler, 2008. "Strategic communication networks," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586847, HAL.
- Jeanne Hagenbach & Frédéric Koessler, 2009. "Strategic Communication Networks," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00367692, HAL.
- Crawford, Vincent P & Sobel, Joel, 1982.
"Strategic Information Transmission,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1431-51, November.
- Chwe, Michael Suk-Young, 2000. "Communication and Coordination in Social Networks," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Cooper, Russell, et al, 1992. "Communication in Coordination Games," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 739-71, May.
- Robert J. Aumann & Sergiu Hart, 2002.
"Long Cheap Talk,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp284, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, revised Nov 2002.
- Kosfeld Michael, 2004. "Economic Networks in the Laboratory: A Survey," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-23, March.
- repec:rne:rneart:v:3:y:2004:i:1:p:19-41 is not listed on IDEAS
- COOPER, R. & DEJONG, D.V. & FORSYTHE, R. & Tom Ross, 1989. "Communication In The Battle Of The Sexes Game," Carleton Industrial Organization Research Unit (CIORU) 89-03, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- COOPER, R. & DEJONG, D.V. & FORSYTHE, R. & Tom Ross, 1989. "Communication In Coordination Games," Carleton Industrial Organization Research Unit (CIORU) 89-07, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Syngjoo Choi & Douglas Gale & Shachar Kariv & Thomas Palfrey, 2008.
"Network Architecture, Salience and Coordination,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
122247000000001997, David K. Levine.
- Crawford, Vincent, 1998. "A Survey of Experiments on Communication via Cheap Talk," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 286-298, February.
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1969. "Strategy and Structure: Chapters in the History of the American Industrial Enterprise," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262530090, January.
- Urs Fischbacher, 2007. "z-Tree: Zurich toolbox for ready-made economic experiments," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 171-178, June.
- Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Joan de Martí, 2007. "Communication Networks: Knowledge and Decisions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 86-91, May.
- Mengel Friederike & Romero José Gabriel & Kovarik Jaromir, 2009.
"(Anti-) Coordination in Networks,"
041, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Mengel Friederike & Romero José Gabriel & Kovarik Jaromir, 2009. "(Anti-) Coordination in Networks," Research Memorandum 041, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Jaromir Kovarik & Friederike Mengel & José Gabriel Romero, 2010. "(Anti-) Coordination in Networks," Working Papers 2010.49, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.