Intra-Industry Trade and Differences in Technology
AbstractThe approach focussed on allows one to examine theoretically the empirical observation of increasing levels of intra-industry trade flows founded upon an increasing similarity of technology between countries and firms. Within the framework of a simple model of international trade in differentiated goods it is demonstrated that an in an international free trade scenario ranking high in product differentiation and monopolistic market structures the intensity of intra-industry trade is dependent upon the degree of differences present in applied technology. Technologlcal similarity among nations results in high levels of intra-industry trade; whereas persistent differences in available technology reduces intra-industrial trade flows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 18710.
Date of creation: 1988
Date of revision:
Globalization; intra-firm trade; differentiation;
Other versions of this item:
- Broll, Udo & Gilroy, B Michael, 1988. "Intra-industry Trade and Differences in Technology," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 35(4), pages 399-403, November.
- P33 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - International Trade, Finance, Investment, Relations, and Aid
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-71, June.
- Broll, Udo & Gilroy, Bernard Michael, 1985. "International Division of Labour and Intra-Trade," MPRA Paper 18042, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Balassa, Bela, 1986. "Intra-Industry specialization : A cross-country analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 27-42, February.
- Kandogan, Yener, 2003. "Intra-industry trade of transition countries: trends and determinants," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 273-286, September.
- Yener Kandogan, 2003. "Intra-industry Trade of Transition Countries: Trends and Determinants," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-566, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.