International Cooperation and Intra-Industrial Transactions
AbstractThe paper examines theoretically the empirical observation or increasing levels of intra-industrial trade flows. The relationship between intra-industrial trade and consumer preferences in addition to product differentiation advanced by internationally active firms are discussed within the framework of a simple model of international trade in differentiated goods. In an international free trade scenario, ranking high in product differentiation and monopolistic market structures, the intensity of international trade activities steadily rises as the structure of consumer preferences exhibits demand pattern similarity: export and import levels rise simultaneously. Intra-industrial commodities exchanges as well as investment cross-hauling of multinational enterprises prove to be important vehicles international cooperation among nation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 18705.
Date of creation: 1988
Date of revision:
intra-industrial trade; consumer preferences; product differentiation; international trade; multinational enterprises;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Broll, Udo & Gilroy, Bernard Michael, 1986. "Comparative Advantage and Trade Patterns," MPRA Paper 18155, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Broll, Udo & Gilroy, Bernard Michael, 1985. "Developing Countries in Light of Intra-Trade," MPRA Paper 18046, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-71, June.
- Gilroy, Bernard Michael, 1989. " Intra-firm Trade," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(4), pages 325-43.
- Balassa, Bela, 1986. "Intra-Industry specialization : A cross-country analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 27-42, February.
- Gilroy, Bernard Michael & Broll, Udo, 1987. "West Germany - Expanding Where The Markets Are," MPRA Paper 18156, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Greenaway, 1983. "Intra-industry and inter-industry trade in Switzerland," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 119(1), pages 109-121, March.
- Bernard Michael Gilroy, 1991.
"Schweizerische Pflichtlagerhaltung und ihre Finanzierung,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 127(III), pages 431-443, September.
- Gilroy, Bernard Michael, 1991.
"Schweizerische Pflichtlagerhaltung und ihre Finanzierung
[Swiss obligatory stockpiling and its financing]," MPRA Paper 21083, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gilroy, Bernard Michael, 1991. "Schweizerische Pflichtlagerhaltung und ihre Finanzierung
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.