Intra-industry Trade and Differences in Technology
The approach focussed on allows one to examine theoretically the empirical observation of increasing levels of intra-industry trade flows founded upon an increasing similarity of technology between countries and firms. Within the framework of a simple model of international trade in differentiated goods it is demonstrated that an in an international free trade scenario ranking high in product differentiation and monopolistic market structures the intensity of intra-industry trade is dependent upon the degree of differences present in applied technology. Technologlcal similarity among nations results in high levels of intra-industry trade; whereas persistent differences in available technology reduces intra-industrial trade flows.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 35 (1988)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0036-9292|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0036-9292|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-71, June.
- Broll, Udo & Gilroy, Bernard Michael, 1985. "International Division of Labour and Intra-Trade," MPRA Paper 18042, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1984. "Do increases in preference similarity (across countries) induce increases in trade? : An affirmative example," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3-4), pages 375-381, November.
- Balassa, Bela, 1986. "Intra-Industry specialization : A cross-country analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 27-42, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:scotjp:v:35:y:1988:i:4:p:399-403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.