Two-way international trade and production in Italy: a country/industry specific analysis
AbstractTwo-way International Trade and Production in Italy: A Country/industry Specific Analysis (by Filippo Reganati, Rosanna Pittiglio) - ABSTRACT: Economic interactions among high-income developed countries are characterized by high degrees of both intra-industry trade and intra-industry affiliate production and sales. Similar high-income countries both heavily trade with and invest into each other. This paper examines the determinants of Italian intra-industry trade and intra-industry production with most European trading partners using a dataset where variables are different not only between countries but also between sectors of the same country. Using different econometric methods, the results obtained suggest that intra-industry trade and intra-industry production tend to share the same determinants; in particular they are higher as the two partner countries are more similar in relative factor endowments (physical and technological capital), in relative country size and are less geographically distant. Keywords: Intra-industry Trade, Intra-industry Foreign Direct Investment
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by FrancoAngeli Editore in its journal STUDI ECONOMICI.
Volume (Year): 2007/91 (2007)
Issue (Month): 91 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=59
Other versions of this item:
- Filippo Reganati & Rosanna Pittiglio, 2007. "Two-Way International Trade And Production In Italy: A Country/Industry Specific Analysis," Quaderni DSEMS 19-2007, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-71, June.
- Filippo Reganati, 2002.
"Intra-Industry Trade And International Production In The Italian Manufacturing Sector: A Case For Testing The Theory,"
fr_ei_2002, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
- Reganati, Filippo, 2002. "Intra-Industry Trade and International Production in the Italian Manufacturing Sector: A Case for Testing the Theory," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 55(2), pages 229-257.
- Caves, Richard E, 1981. "Intra-Industry Trade and Market Structure in the Industrial Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(2), pages 203-23, July.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1996.
"The Theory of Endowment, Intra-Industry and Multinational Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1341, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 2000. "The theory of endowment, intra-industry and multi-national trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 209-234, December.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1996. "The Theory of Endowment, Intra-Industry, and Multinational Trade," NBER Working Papers 5529, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hummels, D. & Levinsohn, J., 1993.
"Monopolistic Competition and International Trade: Reconsidering the Evidence,"
339, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Hummels, David & Levinsohn, James, 1995. "Monopolistic Competition and International Trade: Reconsidering the Evidence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 799-836, August.
- David Hummels & James Levinsohn, 1993. "Monopolistic Competition and International Trade: Reconsidering the Evidence," NBER Working Papers 4389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rudolf Loertscher & Frank Wolter, 1980. "Determinants of intra-industry trade: Among countries and across industries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(2), pages 280-293, June.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1998.
"Multinational firms and the new trade theory,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 183-203, December.
- Balassa, Bela & Bauwens, Luc, 1987. "Intra-industry Specialisation in a Multi-country and Multi-industry Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388), pages 923-39, December.
- James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 2001. "A Unified Approach to Intra-Industry Trade and Direct Foreign Investment," NBER Working Papers 8335, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Balassa, Bela, 1986. "Intra-Industry specialization : A cross-country analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 27-42, February.
- S. Lael Brainard, 1993. "A Simple Theory of Multinational Corporations and Trade with a Trade-Off Between Proximity and Concentration," NBER Working Papers 4269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
- Jung-Soo Seo & Jong-Soon Kang & Deok-Ki Kim, 2002. "Intra-Industry Foreign Direct Investment and Intra-Industry Trade in Korea," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 329, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Lancaster, Kelvin, 1980. "Intra-industry trade under perfect monopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-175, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.