Intra-Industry Trade Between Japan and Korea: Vertical Intra-Industry Trade, Fragmentation and Export Margins
AbstractThis paper contributes to the existing empirical investigation of Japan-Korea international trade by providing new evidence of intra-industry trade between Korea and Japanese sub-regions. Taking advantage of a Japanese international trade dataset disaggregated by sub-regions, we calculate the Grubel-Lloyd intra-industry trade index for 41 regions of Japan with respect to Korea for the period between 1988 and 2006. By restricting the flows of intra-industry trade to sub-regions, the Grubel-Lloyd index is more likely to capture the effect of the fragmentation of production than the traditional index, which is based on the national level. By using Japanese prefecture international trade data, it is revealed that intra-industry trade is still pervasive even when it is restricted to trade flows between prefectures and Korea. In intra-industry trade regression models, we introduce extensive and intensive margins of prefecture exports as new explanatory variables. We find that a rise in intra-industry trade is driven by the introduction of a new variety of exports, while intra-industry trade is discouraged by an increase in the trade value of products already exported.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kyushu Sangyo University, Faculty of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 32.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2008
Date of revision:
Export variety; Fragmentation; Intra-firm trade; Intra-industry trade; Regional trade; Japan; Korea;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David E. Weinstein & Christian Broda, 2004.
"Globalization And The Gains From Variety,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
327, Econometric Society.
- Christian Broda & David E. Weinstein, 2004. "Globalization and the Gains from Variety," NBER Working Papers 10314, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Weinstein & Christian Broda, 2004. "Globalization and the Gains from Variety," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 508, Econometric Society.
- Christian Broda & David Weinstein, 2004. "Globalization and the gains from variety," Staff Reports 180, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- David Weinstein & Christian Broda, 2004. "Globalization and the Gains from Variety," 2004 Meeting Papers 530, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Imperfect competition and international trade: Evidence from fourteen industrial countries," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 62-81, March.
- Robert Feenstra & Hiau Looi Kee, 2004.
"On the Measurement of Product Variety in Trade,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 145-149, May.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C & Milner, Chris, 1995. "Vertical and Horizontal Intra-industry Trade: A Cross Industry Analysis for the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1505-18, November.
- Feenstra, Robert C, 1994. "New Product Varieties and the Measurement of International Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 157-77, March.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
- Rudolf Loertscher & Frank Wolter, 1980. "Determinants of intra-industry trade: Among countries and across industries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(2), pages 280-293, June.
- David Hummels & Peter J. Klenow, 2005. "The Variety and Quality of a Nation's Exports," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 704-723, June.
- Hummels, David & Levinsohn, James, 1995.
"Monopolistic Competition and International Trade: Reconsidering the Evidence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 799-836, August.
- Hummels, D. & Levinsohn, J., 1993. "Monopolistic Competition and International Trade: Reconsidering the Evidence," Working Papers 339, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- David Hummels & James Levinsohn, 1993. "Monopolistic Competition and International Trade: Reconsidering the Evidence," NBER Working Papers 4389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimura, Fukunari & Takahashi, Yuya & Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2007. "Fragmentation and parts and components trade: Comparison between East Asia and Europe," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 23-40, February.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
- Phan, Thanh Hoan & Jeong, Ji Young, 2012. "An Analysis of Korea-Vietnam Bilateral Trade Relation," MPRA Paper 48312, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yushi Yoshida & Nuno Carlos Leitão & Horácio Faustino, 2009. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade and Foreign Direct Investment between Japan and European Countries," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 37(4), pages 351-365, December.
- Yushi Yoshida & Nuno Carlos Leitão & Horácio Faustino, 2008. "Intra-Industry Trade between Japan and European Countries: a Closer Look at the Quality Gap in VIIT," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/53, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yoshitsugu Kitazawa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.