Long-run validity of purchasing power parity and rank tests for cointegration for Central Asian Countries
AbstractThis study finds that Purchasing Power Parity holds in the long-run for Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, based on Breitung’s (2001) rank tests for cointegration. Results from further analysis indicates that nominal exchange rates and relative prices are nonlinearly interrelated. Trade barriers, transportation costs and government intervention in the pricing system in these countries may have resulted in the establishment of the above-mentioned nonlinear relationship.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15794.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Purchasing power parity; Cointegration; Nonlinear; Rank tests; Central Asia.;
Other versions of this item:
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Ricky Chee-Jiun Chia & Tai-Hu Ling, 2010. "Long-run validity of purchasing power parity and rank tests for cointegration for Central Asian countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(11), pages 1073-1077.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Liew, Venus Khim-sen & Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Chong, Terence Tai-leung, 2004.
"Are Asian real exchange rates stationary?,"
Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 313-316, June.
- Alan M. Taylor & Mark P. Taylor, 2004.
"The Purchasing Power Parity Debate,"
NBER Working Papers
10607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Breitung, Jorg, 2001.
"Rank Tests for Nonlinear Cointegration,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(3), pages 331-40, July.
- Ma, Yue & Kanas, Angelos, 2000. "Testing for nonlinear Granger causality from fundamentals to exchange rates in the ERM," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 69-82, January.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993.
"A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- Tom Doan, . "SWDOLS: RATS procedure to estimate cointegrating vectors using dynamic OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00207, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991. "A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Mark P. Taylor, 2003. "Purchasing Power Parity," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 436-452, 08.
- Mark Taylor, 2006. "Real exchange rates and Purchasing Power Parity: mean-reversion in economic thought," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1-2), pages 1-17.
- Murat Doğanlar, 2006. "Long-run validity of Purchasing Power Parity and cointegration analysis for Central Asian countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(7), pages 457-461.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Terence Tai-Leung Chong & Kian-Ping Lim, 2003. "The inadequacy of linear autoregressive model for real exchange rates: empirical evidence from Asian economies," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(12), pages 1387-1392.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2004:i:8:p:1-19 is not listed on IDEAS
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew, 2004. "Nonlinear Adjustment of ASEAN-5 Real Exchange Rates: Symmetrical or Asymmetrical?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(8), pages 1-19.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Hansen, Bruce E, 1990.
"Statistical Inference in Instrumental Variables Regression with I(1) Processes,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 99-125, January.
- Tom Doan, . "FM: RATS procedure to estimate cointegrating vectors using Fully Modified Least Squares," Statistical Software Components RTS00069, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen, 2009.
"Linear and nonlinear monetary approaches to the exchange rate of the Philippines peso-Japanese yen,"
15550, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 05 Jun 2009.
- Venus khim-sen Liew, 2009. "Linear and nonlinear monetary approaches to the exchange rate of the Philippines peso-Japanese yen," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 1320-1329.
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Ling, Tai-Hu & Chia, Ricky Chee-Jiun & Yoon, Gawon, 2012. "On the application of the rank tests for nonlinear cointegration to PPP: The case of Papua New Guinea," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 326-332.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.