Benefit Relationship between Owner and User of Common Pool Resource: Evidence from Joint Forest Management Programme in West Bengal
AbstractThis empirical study suggests that the economic outcome of joint forest management (JFM) programme has been beneficial for both forest fringe community and government who jointly manage the forest resource. Cooperation yields an outcome preferred by both as they are able to negotiate before execution of all activities. The theoretical model of common property resources suggests that cooperative behavior of JFM guided by norms of restraint and customs may be stable against invasion by narrowly self-interested behaviour. The study also indicates that without costly sanctions against poor JFM-households for extracting illegal forest products, JFM appears to be beneficial for all.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15327.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Joint forest management programme; Economic outcome; Cooperative game; Non-timber forest products.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q23 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Forestry
- D13 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Production and Intrahouse Allocation
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baland, Jean-Marie & Platteau, Jean-Philippe, 2000. "Halting Degradation of Natural Resources: Is There a Role for Rural Communities?," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290612.
- Debnarayan Sarker & Nimai Das, 2008.
"A Study of Economic Outcome of Joint Forest Management Programme in West Bengal: The Strategic Decisions between Government and Forest Fringe Community,"
Indian Economic Review,
Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 43(1), pages 17-45, July.
- Sarker, Debnarayan & Das, Nimai, 2006. "A Study of Economic Outcome of Joint Forest Management Programme in West Bengal: The Strategic Decisions between Government and Forest Fringe Community," MPRA Paper 14875, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2007.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1994. "North-South Trade and the Global Environment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 851-74, September.
- Subhrendu K. Pattanayak & Erin O. Sills, 2001. "Do Tropical Forests Provide Natural Insurance? The Microeconomics of Non-Timber Forest Product Collection in the Brazilian Amazon," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(4), pages 595-612.
- Sarker, Debnarayan & Das, Nimai, 2001. "Women’s Participation in Forestry: Some Theoretical and Empirical Issues," MPRA Paper 14804, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sethi, Rajiv & Somanathan, E, 1996. "The Evolution of Social Norms in Common Property Resource Use," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 766-88, September.
- Pattanayak, Subhrendu K. & Sills, Erin O. & Kramer, Randall A., 2004. "Seeing the forest for the fuel," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 155-179, May.
- Sarker, Debnarayan & Das, Nimai, 2006. "Efficiency of Market Behaviour of NTFPs for Households under JFMP: A Case Study in West Bengal," MPRA Paper 14779, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.