Measuring trade in value added in the new industrial economy: statistical implications
AbstractVertical integration of production processes at international level and the resulting fragmentation of the value chains increasingly question the relevance of traditional trade indicators. Intermediate productions are increasingly offshored within these global value chains, giving place to what is known as "trade in tasks". The paper presents some experiences of alternative measures of international trade in terms of the value added generated by this process. The strength with which the concept of value added has imposed itself as the yardstick for the measurement of international trade has very fruitful analytical implications in the context of national accounts. A second part shows how the international statistical system has responded to the obvious risk of obsolescence by launching a series of joint initiatives in order to adapt all the instruments of the statistician’s “tool-box”: classifications, balance of payments and national accounts manuals. Conclusions highlight the remaining challenges, as well as the divergences that persist among the groups of experts in relation to the proposed reforms and their normative and practical impacts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 14454.
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
vertical integration; trade in tasks; national accounts;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O24 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Trade Policy; Factor Movement; Foreign Exchange Policy
- E01 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Measurement and Data on National Income and Product Accounts and Wealth; Environmental Accounts
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Hummels & Jun Ishii & Kei-Mu Yi, 1999.
"The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade,"
72, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hummels, David & Ishii, Jun & Yi, Kei-Mu, 2001. "The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 75-96, June.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/2537 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brian Wixted & Norihiko Yamano & Colin Webb, 2006. "Input-Output Analysis in an Increasingly Globalised World: Applications of OECD's Harmonised International Tables," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2006/7, OECD Publishing.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2010.
"Measuring The Location Of Production In A World Of Intangible Productive Assets, Fdi, And Intrafirm Trade,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 56(s1), pages S99-S110, 06.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2008. "Measuring the Location of Production in a World of Intangible Productive Assets, FDI, and Intrafirm Trade," NBER Working Papers 14121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillaume Daudin & Paola Monperrus-Veroni & Christine Rifflart & Danielle Schweisguth, 2006. "Le commerce extérieur en valeur ajoutée," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 98(3), pages 129-165.
- Guillaume Daudin & Paola Veroni & Christine Rifflart & Danielle Schweisguth, 2006. "Le commerce extérieur en valeur ajoutée," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/2537, Sciences Po.
- Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard, 2009.
"Services Trade and Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7616, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph F. Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," Economics working papers 2009-03, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Joseph F. Francois & B. Hoekman, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," wiiw Working Papers 60, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Mishra, Saurabh & Lundstrom, Susanna & Anand, Rahul, 2011.
"Sophistication in Service Exports and Economic Growth,"
World Bank - Economic Premise,
The World Bank, issue 55, pages 1-4, April.
- Saurabh Mishra & Susanna Lundstrom & Rahul Anand, 2011. "Sophistication in Service Exports and Economic Growth," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10098, The World Bank.
- Escaith, Hubert, 2009.
"Trade Collapse, Trade Relapse and Global Production Networks: Supply Chains in the Great Recession,"
18433, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Escaith, Hubert, 2009. "Trade Collapse, Trade Relapse and Global Production Networks: Supply Chains in the Great Recession," MPRA Paper 18274, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christen, Elisabeth & Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard, 2013. "Computable General Equilibrium Modeling of Market Access in Services," Handbook of Computable General Equilibrium Modeling, Elsevier.
- Markus Kelle, 2012. "Crossing Industrial Borders: German Manufacturers as Services Exporters," Development Working Papers 329, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 27 Mar 2012.
- Francois, Joseph & Manchin, Miriam & Tomberger, Patrick, 2013. "Services linkages and the value added content of trade," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6432, The World Bank.
- Nicola Spatafora & Rahul Anand & Saurabh Mishra, 2012. "Structural Transformation and the sophistication of Production," IMF Working Papers 12/59, International Monetary Fund.
- Mishra, Saurabh & Lundstrom, Susanna & Anand, Rahul, 2011. "Service export sophistication and economic growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5606, The World Bank.
- Elisabeth Christen & Joseph Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2012.
"CGE modeling of market access in services,"
2012-13, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Christen, Elisabeth & Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard, 2012. "CGE modeling of market access in services," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6106, The World Bank.
- Elisabeth M. Christen & Joseph Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2012. "CGE Modeling of Market Access in Services," Economics working papers 2012-08, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Meng, Bo & Fang, Yong & Yamano, Norihiko, 2012. "Measuring global value chains and regional economic integration : an international input-output approach," IDE Discussion Papers 362, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Meng, Bo & Wang, Zhi & Koopman, Robert, 2013. "How are global value chains fragmented and extended in China's domestic production networks?," IDE Discussion Papers 424, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Escaith, Hubert, 2009. "Trade Collapse, Trade Relapse and Global Production Networks: Supply Chains in the Great Recession (revised)," MPRA Paper 31864, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.