Health care expenditure and GDP: An international panel smooth transition approach
AbstractIn this paper, we investigate the potential threshold effects in the relationship between national expenditures on health care and national income. Using a panel threshold regression model, we derive country-specific and time-specific income elasticities for 17 OECD countries over the period 1975–2003. In contrast to many previous analyses, our empirical results show that health care is a necessity rather than a luxury. Further, the relationship between health expenditure and income seems rather nonlinear, changing over time and across countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 14322.
Date of creation: May 2009
Date of revision:
Health expenditure; Income elasticity; Panel smooth threshold regression models;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 2004.
"The Value of Life and the Rise in Health Spending,"
NBER Working Papers
10737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E Hall & Charles I Jones, 2007. "The Value of Life and the Rise in Health Spending," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 122(1), pages 39-72, 02.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 2005. "The value of life and the rise in health spending," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Julien Fouquau & Christophe Hurlin & Isabelle Rabaud, 2007.
"The Feldstein-Horioka Puzzle: a Panel SmoothTransition Regression Approach,"
- Fouquau, Julien & Hurlin, Christophe & Rabaud, Isabelle, 2008. "The Feldstein-Horioka puzzle: A panel smooth transition regression approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 284-299, March.
- Jewell, Todd & Lee, Junsoo & Tieslau, Margie & Strazicich, Mark C., 2003. "Stationarity of health expenditures and GDP: evidence from panel unit root tests with heterogeneous structural breaks," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 313-323, March.
- Blomqvist, A. G. & Carter, R. A. L., 1997.
"Is health care really a luxury?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 207-229, April.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Löthgren, Mickael, 1998.
"On stationarity and cointegration of international health expenditure and GDP,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
232, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 29 Jan 1999.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Lothgren, Mickael, 2000. "On stationarity and cointegration of international health expenditure and GDP," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 461-475, July.
- Dick van Dijk & Dennis Fok & Philip Hans Franses, 2005. "A multi-level panel STAR model for US manufacturing sectors," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 811-827.
- Oecd, 2006. "Projecting OECD Health and Long-Term Care Expenditures: What Are the Main Drivers?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 477, OECD Publishing.
- Parkin, David & McGuire, Alistair & Yule, Brian, 1987. "Aggregate health care expenditures and national income : Is health care a luxury good?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 109-127, June.
- Carrion-i-Silvestre, Josep Lluis, 2005. "Health care expenditure and GDP: Are they broken stationary?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 839-854, September.
- Felder, Stefan & Meier, Markus & Schmitt, Horst, 2000. "Health care expenditure in the last months of life," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 679-695, September.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992.
"Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995. "Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Joseph P. Newhouse, 1992. "Medical Care Costs: How Much Welfare Loss?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 3-21, Summer.
- Jennifer Roberts, 1999. "Sensitivity of elasticity estimates for OECD health care spending: analysis of a dynamic heterogeneous data field," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(5), pages 459-472.
- González, Andrés & Teräsvirta, Timo & van Dijk, Dick, 2005.
"Panel Smooth Transition Regression Models,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
604, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Gilbert Colletaz & Christophe Hurlin, 2006.
"Threshold Effects of the Public Capital Productivity : An International Panel Smooth Transition Approach,"
- Gilbert Colletaz & Christophe Hurlin, 2008. "Threshold Effects in the Public Capital Productivity: An International Panel Smooth Transition Approach," Working Papers halshs-00724208, HAL.
- Jochen Hartwig, 2006.
"What Drives Health Care Expenditure? Baumol’s Model of ‘Unbalanced Growth’ Revisited,"
KOF Working papers
06-133, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Hartwig, Jochen, 2008. "What drives health care expenditure?--Baumol's model of 'unbalanced growth' revisited," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 603-623, May.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Sogaard, Jes & Andersson, Fredrik & Jonsson, Bengt, 1992. "An econometric analysis of health care expenditure: A cross-section study of the OECD countries," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 63-84, May.
- Albert Okunade & Mustafa Karakus, 2001. "Unit root and cointegration tests: timeseries versus panel estimates for international health expenditure models," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(9), pages 1131-1137.
- Elisa Tosetti & Francesco Moscone, 2007.
"Health Expenditure and Income in the United States,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
07/14, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- F. Moscone & E. Tosetti, 2010. "Health expenditure and income in the United States," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(12), pages 1385-1403, December.
- Hansen, Paul & King, Alan, 1996. "The determinants of health care expenditure: A cointegration approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 127-137, February.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1997.
"Threshold effects in non-dynamic panels: Estimation, testing and inference,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
365, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1999. "Threshold effects in non-dynamic panels: Estimation, testing, and inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 345-368, December.
- Dreger, Christian & Reimers, Hans-Eggert, 2005.
"Health Care Expenditures in OECD Countries: A Panel Unit Root and Cointegration Analysis,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1469, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dreger, C. & Reimers, H.E., 2005. "Health Care Expenditures in OECD Countries: A Panel Unit Root and Cointegration Analysis," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 2(2), pages 5-20.
- Clemente, Jesus & Marcuello, Carmen & Montanes, Antonio & Pueyo, Fernando, 2004. "On the international stability of health care expenditure functions: are government and private functions similar?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 589-613, May.
- McCoskey, Suzanne K. & Selden, Thomas M., 1998. "Health care expenditures and GDP: panel data unit root test results," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 369-376, June.
- Hitiris, Theo & Posnett, John, 1992. "The determinants and effects of health expenditure in developed countries," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 173-181, August.
- Lena Dräger & Jan-Oliver Menz & Ulrich Fritsche, . "Perceived Inflation under Loss Aversion," Macroeconomics and Finance Series 201105, Hamburg University, Department Wirtschaft und Politik.
- Seher Sülkü & Asena Caner, 2011.
"Health care expenditures and gross domestic product: the Turkish case,"
The European Journal of Health Economics,
Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 29-38, February.
- Seher Nur Sulku & Asena Caner, 2009. "Health Care Expenditures and Gross Domestic Product: The Turkish Case," Working Papers 0903, TOBB University of Economics and Technology, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.