Challenges for Food Security in Eritrea -- A Descriptive and Qualitative Analysis
AbstractFood security is about ensuring that all people at all times have both physical and economic access to the basic food they need. In a number of African countries chronic malnutrition and transitory food insecurity are pervasive. Like most African countries, Eritrea is also a victim of the problem of food insecurity. Based on this historical and recurrent food insecurity in Eritrea, an attempt is made in this paper to assess the possible causes of food insecurity in the country. Furthermore, the paper captures the available food security policy proposals of Eritrea and eventually draws conclusions and extends possible recommendations and policy remedies suited to the country.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 10312.
Date of creation: 15 Nov 2004
Date of revision: 21 Feb 2005
Publication status: Published in African Development Review 2.17(2005): pp. 193-212
Food security; Eritrea; African countries; Agriculture Policy; Poverty;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q16 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - R&D; Agricultural Technology; Biofuels; Agricultural Extension Services
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rena, Ravinder, 2003. "Green revolution: Indian agricultural experience – a paradigm for Eritrea," MPRA Paper 10838, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 24 May 2003.
- Rena, Ravinder & Tesfy, Ghirmai, 2006. "Poverty And Microfinance In Eritrea – A Discourse," MPRA Paper 11079, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2007.
- Rena, Ravinder, 2006. "Lessons Of Indian Experience For Eritrea," MPRA Paper 10573, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rena, Ravinder, 2006. "Warsai-Yikeaalo program and its impact in post war Eritrea – A development perspective," MPRA Paper 11682, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2008.
- Rena, Ravinder, 2006. "Trends And Determinants Of Poverty In The Horn Of Africa - Some Implications," MPRA Paper 11140, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rena, Ravinder, 2007. "Insurance Industry In Eritrea - Achievements And Challenges," MPRA Paper 10762, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.