Green revolution: Indian agricultural experience – a paradigm for Eritrea
AbstractFood problem became more severe after the partition of India and Pakistan in 1947, presenting a series challenges to India’s agricultural sector. Even during good harvest years, food imports remain high. A large segment of people were poor. To mitigate these problems, India adopted farming strategies under the “Green Revolution” in the mid 1960s. The application of modern farming technology, introduction of high-yielding varieties of seeds, increased use of fertilizers, development and expansion of irrigation systems, extension of credit and educational services to farmers. These activities resulted in a drastic increase of farm products leading India to achieve self-sufficiency in food within a short period of time. The “Green Revolution” has contributed to Indian agriculture tremendously and transformed India from a starving nation to a food exporter. The activities that comprise the “Green Revolution” are worth emulating in the Eritrean environment. This paper explores the impact of the “Green Revolution” on Indian agricultural production with the aim of drawing lessons for Eritrea to modernize its agriculture and subsequently solve its food insecurity problem. The Indian experience serves as a model for Eritrea to achieve self-sufficiency in food.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 10838.
Date of creation: 15 Feb 2003
Date of revision: 24 May 2003
Publication status: Published in Eritrean Studies Review 1.4(2004): pp. 103-130
Green Revolution; Agriculture and Technology; India; Eritrea; Food Security;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q16 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - R&D; Agricultural Technology; Biofuels; Agricultural Extension Services
- Q55 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Technological Innovation
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
- A10 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - General
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sarma, J. S., 1981. "Growth and equity: policies and implementation in Indian agriculture," Research reports 28, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Mellor, John W. & Adams, Richard Jr, 1986. "The new political economy of food and agricultural development," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 289-297, November.
- Rena, Ravinder, 2003. "Emerging Eritrean Agriculture In Accordance With Global Competition: A Case Study On Elabered Estate," MPRA Paper 10317, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 17 Jun 2004.
- Rena, Ravinder, 2004. "Challenges for Food Security in Eritrea -- A Descriptive and Qualitative Analysis," MPRA Paper 10312, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 21 Feb 2005.
- Rena, Ravinder, 2006. "Trends And Determinants Of Poverty In The Horn Of Africa - Some Implications," MPRA Paper 11140, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rena, Ravinder, 2005. "Agriculture Development And Food Security Policy In Eritrea - An Analysis," MPRA Paper 10791, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Sep 2006.
- Rena, Ravinder & Tesfy, Ghirmai, 2006. "Poverty And Microfinance In Eritrea – A Discourse," MPRA Paper 11079, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2007.
- Rena, Ravinder, 2006. "Challenges For Research Development In Eritrea – Some Observations," MPRA Paper 10554, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rena, Ravinder, 2006. "Lessons Of Indian Experience For Eritrea," MPRA Paper 10573, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rena, Ravinder, 2006. "Warsai-Yikeaalo program and its impact in post war Eritrea – A development perspective," MPRA Paper 11682, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.