Poverty And Microfinance In Eritrea – A Discourse
AbstractThe poverty levels in Eritrea are alarming. In the light of the escalating nature of poverty, there is an urgent need for a poverty alleviation initiative to reduce miseries of the majority of the poor. An attempt is made in this paper to analyse the incidence of poverty in the country with a particular focus on Agriculture. It also shed a light on the agriculture sector and its crucial role in providing 75 per cent jobs to its people. The paper also delves with the microfinance institutions particularly the Saving and Micro Credit Porgramme and its impact in reducing the poverty. It concludes that microfinance has strong capacity to drive economic growth and poverty reduction in Eritrea.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 11079.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision: 2007
Publication status: Published in The Global Journal of Finance and Economics 2.4(2007): pp. 147-161
Poverty; Eritrea; agriculture extension; agriculture technology; Microfinance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N87 - Economic History - - Micro-Business History - - - Africa; Oceania
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rena, Ravinder, 2003. "Green revolution: Indian agricultural experience – a paradigm for Eritrea," MPRA Paper 10838, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 24 May 2003.
- Ravinder Rena, 2005. "Challenges for Food Security in Eritrea: A Descriptive and Qualitative Analysis," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 17(2), pages 193-212.
- Rena, Ravinder, 2004. "Challenges for Food Security in Eritrea -- A Descriptive and Qualitative Analysis," MPRA Paper 10312, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 21 Feb 2005.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.