Does Broader-Based Local Government affect Expenditure on Public Long-Term Care Insurance? The Case of Japan
AbstractThis paper considers the possible effects of broader-based local government, especially extended associations, in Japanese local public finance. We mainly analyze scale effects in public long-term care insurance expenditure, with our results indicating a U shaped expenditure structure. We also show that expenditures associated with extended associations decrease more rapidly than ordinary municipal expenditures. These findings suggest that expenditure of appropriate population size extended associations larger than single municipality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP) in its series Discussion Papers in Economics and Business with number 08-34.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2008
Date of revision:
local public finance; scale effects; broader-based local government; extended association; long-term care insurance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H73 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Interjurisdictional Differentials and Their Effects
- H75 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Government: Health, Education, and Welfare
- H83 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - Public Administration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-IAS-2008-11-25 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-PBE-2008-11-25 (Public Economics)
- NEP-URE-2008-11-25 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hirota, Haruaki & Yunoue, Hideo, 2011.
[Municipal mergers and local government expenditure. Evidence from Categorized Data of Japanes," MPRA Paper 37484, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Atsuko SUZUKI).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.