[Municipal mergers and local government expenditure. Evidence from Categorized Data of Japanese Municipalities]
AbstractThe number of municipalities in Japan has decreased from 3,232 in 1999 to 1,820 in 2006 because of municipal mergers, called Heisei-no-Daigappei. This paper estimates the effects of municipal mergers in Japan’s local public expenditure. In order to evaluate the expenditure of municipal mergers, our new approach is to apply unique index called financial index classified by similar types. We mainly results the scale effect using panel data on Japanese municipalities and found that municipalities achieved reductions in their total expenditures with mergers. In addition, the expenditure structure is also found to be an inverse U shaped.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37484.
Date of creation: 03 Nov 2011
Date of revision:
municipal mergers; scale effect; local government expenditure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
- H11 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Structure and Scope of Government
- H72 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Budget and Expenditures
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-28 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haruaki Hirota & Hideo Yunoue, 2008. "Does Broader-Based Local Government affect Expenditure on Public Long-Term Care Insurance? The Case of Japan," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 8(11), pages 1-20.
- Haruaki Hirota & Hideo Yunoue, 2008. "Does Broader-Based Local Government affect Expenditure on Public Long-Term Care Insurance? The Case of Japan," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 08-34, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:8:y:2008:i:11:p:1-20 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.