Inflation Adjustment in the Open Economy: An I(2) Analysis of UK Prices
AbstractWe analyse a cointegrated VAR comprising UK data on consumer prices, unit labour costs, import prices and real consumption growth. The nominal variables, treated as I(2) here, form a linearly homogeneous relation, suggesting a transformation of the system to one comprising inflation and relative prices. This is then estimated in I(1) space. An impulse response analysis using the results suggests that higher real import prices reduce real wages, such that the impact of an external shock on domestic inflation is moderated. This explains why the depreciation of sterling in 1992 left inflation unchanged. In contrast, high real import prices in 1974 increased inflation because wage accommodation effects were absent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford in its series Economics Papers with number 2003-W05.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 13 Mar 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.nuff.ox.ac.uk/economics/
I(2); Impulse response analysis; Inflation; Import price shock;
Other versions of this item:
- Heino Nielsen & Christopher Bowdler, 2006. "Inflation adjustment in the open economy: an I(2) analysis of UK prices," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 569-586, September.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- F0 - International Economics - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li, Hongyi & Maddala, G. S., 1997.
"Bootstrapping cointegrating regressions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 297-318, October.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate bootstrapping with cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00021, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jacobson, Tor & Vredin, Anders & Warne, Anders, 1998.
"Are Real Wages and Unemployment Related?,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 65(257), pages 69-96, February.
- Jacobson, T. & Vredin, A. & Warne, A., 1993. "Are Real Wages and Unemployment Related?," Papers 558, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Jacobson, Tor & Vredin, Anders & Warne, Anders, 1994. "Are Real Wages and Unemployment Related?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 8, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Nielsen, Heino Bohn & Rahbek, Anders, 2007. "The Likelihood Ratio Test For Cointegration Ranks In The I(2) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(04), pages 615-637, August.
- Batini, Nicoletta & Jackson, Brian & Nickell, Stephen, 2005. "An open-economy new Keynesian Phillips curve for the U.K," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 1061-1071, September.
- Anindya Banerjee & Lynne Cockerell & Bill Russell, 2001.
"An I(2) analysis of inflation and the markup,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 221-240.
- Banerjee, A. & Cockerell, L. & Russell, B., 1998. "An I(2) Analysis of Inflation and the Markup," Economics Series Working Papers 99203, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Anindya Banerjee & Lynne Cockerell & Bill Russell, 2000. "An I(2) Analysis of Inflation and the Markup," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 120, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Anindya Banerjee & Bill Russell, 2000. "The Relationship between the Markup and Inflation in the G7 Economies and Australia," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 119, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Clara Jørgensen & Hans Christian Kongsted & Anders Rahbek, 1996.
"Trend-Stationarity in the I(2) Cointegration Model,"
96-12, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Rahbek, Anders & Christian Kongsted, Hans & Jorgensen, Clara, 1999. "Trend stationarity in the I(2) cointegration model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 265-289, June.
- Gredenhoff, Mikael & Jacobson, Tor, 2001. "Bootstrap Testing Linear Restrictions on Cointegrating Vectors," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(1), pages 63-72, January.
- Nielsen, Bent & Rahbek, Anders, 2000. " Similarity Issues in Cointegration Analysis," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 62(1), pages 5-22, February.
- Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2004. "Cointegration analysis in the presence of outliers," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(1), pages 249-271, 06.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:23:y:2007:i:04:p:615-637 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christopher Bowdler, 2005. "Openness, exchange rate regimes and the Phillips curve," Economics Series Working Papers 2005-W25, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Christopher Bowdler & Luca Nunziata, 2004. "Labour Markets Institutions and Inflation Performance: Evidence from OECD panel data," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 29, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Christopher Bowdler, 2005.
"Openness, exchange rate regimes and the Phillips curve,"
2005-W25, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Bowdler, Christopher, 2009. "Openness, exchange rate regimes and the Phillips curve," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 148-160, February.
- Francesca DI IORIO & Stefano FACHIN & Riccardo LUCCHETTI, 2013. "Can you do the wrong thing and still be right? Hypothesis Testing in I(2) and near-I(2) cointegrated VARs," Working Papers 395, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Collett).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.