Governance, Foreign Direct Investment and Domestic Welfare
AbstractThe issue of economic governance is highly discussed pertaining to the question of industrialisation of a country, but the literature on trade and foreign direct investment (FDI) hardly pays attention to this aspect. We develop a simple model to show how better governance affects inward FDI and domestic welfare. We find that whether better governance in the domestic country attracts inward FDI depends on the way it affects the costs of the firms. The effect of better governance is ambiguous on domestic welfare and depends on the marginal cost difference between the firms, transportation cost and the extent of cost reduction through better governance. Our analysis reveals a strategic reason for poor governance in the presence of foreign competition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Nottingham, GEP in its series Discussion Papers with number 10/27.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Economics University of Nottingham University Park Nottingham NG7 2RD
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/gep/index.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Foreign direct investment; Governance; Welfare;
Other versions of this item:
- Maiti, Dibyendu & Mukherjee, Arijit, 2013. "Governance, foreign direct investment and domestic welfare," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 406-415.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- H0 - Public Economics - - General
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jota Ishikawa & Hodaka Morita & Hiroshi Mukunoki, 2010.
"FDI in Post-Production Services and Product Market Competition,"
Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
gd10-136, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ishikawa, Jota & Morita, Hodaka & Mukunoki, Hiroshi, 2010. "FDI in post-production services and product market competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 73-84, September.
- Ishikawa, Jota & Morita, Hodaka & Mukunoki, Hiroshi, 2008. "FDI in Post-Production Services and Product Market Competition," CCES Discussion Paper Series 1, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Jota Ishikawa & Hodaka Morita & Hiroshi Mukunoki, 2008. "FDI in Post-Production Services and Product Market Competition," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd08-004, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ishikawa, Jota & Morita, Hodaka & Mukunoki, Hiroshi, 2010. "FDI in Post-Production Services and Product Market Competition," CCES Discussion Paper Series 29, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Yeaple, Stephen & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2004.
"Export versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
3229098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Fan, Joseph P. H. & Morck, Randall & Lixin Colin Xu & Yeung, Bernard, 2007. "Does"good government"draw foreign capital ? Explaining China's exceptional foreign direct investment inflow," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4206, The World Bank.
- Chor-Yiu Sin & Wing-Fai Leung, 2001. "Impacts of FDI liberalization on investment inflows," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 253-256.
- Arijit Mukherjee & Uday Bhanu Sinha, 2007. "Welfare-reducing Domestic Cost Reduction," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 294-301, 05.
- Dani Rodrik, 2008.
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 100-104, May.
- Qiu, Larry D., 2010. "Cross-border mergers and strategic alliances," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 818-831, August.
- Azmat Gani, 2007. "Governance and foreign direct investment links: evidence from panel data estimations," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(10), pages 753-756.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V, 1997. "A Theory of Misgovernance," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1289-1332, November.
- Globerman, Steven & Shapiro, Daniel, 2002. "Global Foreign Direct Investment Flows: The Role of Governance Infrastructure," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1899-1919, November.
- Chris Milner, 2005. "Protection By Tariff Barriers And International Transaction Costs," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 52(1), pages 105-121, 02.
- Banerjee, A.V., 1997. "A Theory of Misgovernance," Working papers 97-4, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Kim, Dong-Hyeon & Lin, Shu-Chin & Suen, Yu-Bo, 2013. "Investment, trade openness and foreign direct investment: Social capability matters," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 56-69.
- Reiter, S.L. & Steensma, H. Kevin, 2010. "Human Development and Foreign Direct Investment in Developing Countries: The Influence of FDI Policy and Corruption," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 1678-1691, December.
- Dong, Jing & Gou, Yan-nan, 2010. "Corporate governance structure, managerial discretion, and the R&D investment in China," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 180-188, April.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2013.
"Foreign capital, Non-Traded Goods and Welfare in a Developing Economy in the presence of Externalities,"
52140, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2014. "Foreign capital, non-traded goods and welfare in a developing economy in the presence of externalities," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 249-262.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hilary Hughes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.