To acquire, or to compete? An entry dilemna
AbstractIn this paper we address the following question: is it more profitable, for an entrant in a differentiated market, to acquire an existing firm than to compete? We illustrate the answer by considering competition in the banking sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers with number 2008027.
Date of creation: 01 May 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Vertical differentiation; entry; banking competition;
Other versions of this item:
- Jean Gabszewicz & Didier Laussel & Ornella Tarola, 2010. "To acquire, or to compete? An entry dilemma," Working Papers 4/10, Sapienza University of Rome, DISS.
- Jean J. GABSZEWICZ & Didier, LAUSSEL & Ornella, TAROLLA, 2008. "To acquire or to compete ? An entry dilemna," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2008019, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2008-11-25 (Banking)
- NEP-CFN-2008-11-25 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-COM-2008-11-25 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2008-11-25 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2008-11-25 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stähler, Frank & Ryan, Michael & Raff, Horst, 2007.
"The Choice of Market Entry Mode: Greenfield Investment, M&A and Joint Venture,"
Economics Working Papers
2007,19, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Raff, Horst & Ryan, Michael & Stähler, Frank, 2009. "The choice of market entry mode: Greenfield investment, M&A and joint venture," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 3-10, January.
- Steven Tadelis, 1999.
"What's in a Name? Reputation as a Tradeable Asset,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 548-563, June.
- Lynne Pepall & Dan Richards, 1999.
"The Simple Economics of "Brand-Stretching","
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
9905, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Nocke, Volker & Yeaple, Stephen, 2007. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions vs. greenfield foreign direct investment: The role of firm heterogeneity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 336-365, July.
- Pehr-Johan Norbäck & Lars Persson, 2008.
"Cross-Border Mergers & Acquisitions Policy in Service Markets,"
Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade,
Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 269-293, December.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2008. "Cross-Border Mergers & Acquisitions Policy in Service Markets," Working Paper Series 743, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Kim, Moshe & Kliger, Doron & Vale, Bent, 2003. "Estimating switching costs: the case of banking," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 25-56, January.
- Vale, Bent, 1993. " The Dual Role of Demand Deposits under Asymmetric Information," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(1), pages 77-95.
- Gene M. Grossman & Carl Shapiro, 1988.
"Foreign Counterfeiting of Status Goods,"
NBER Working Papers
1915, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael D. Smith & Erik Brynjolfsson, 2001.
"Consumer Decision-making at an Internet Shopbot: Brand Still Matters,"
in: E-commerce, pages 541-558
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, Michael D & Brynjolfsson, Erik, 2001. "Consumer Decision-Making at an Internet Shopbot: Brand Still Matters," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 541-58, December.
- Horst Raff & Michael Ryan & Frank Stähler, 2006.
"Asset Ownership and Foreign-Market Entry,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1676, CESifo Group Munich.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Jean-François Hennart & Young-Ryeol Park, 1993.
"Greenfield vs. Acquisition: The Strategy of Japanese Investors in the United States,"
INFORMS, vol. 39(9), pages 1054-1070, September.
- Hennart, J.-F. & Park, Y.R., 1993. "Greenfield vs. Acquisition : the strategy of Japanes investors in the United states," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-174430, Tilburg University.
- Eicher, Theo & Kang, Jong Woo, 2005.
"Trade, foreign direct investment or acquisition: Optimal entry modes for multinationals,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 207-228, June.
- Theo Eicher & Jong Woo Kang, 2004. "Trade, Foreign Direct Investment or Acquisition: Optimal Entry Modes for Multinationals," CESifo Working Paper Series 1174, CESifo Group Munich.
- Vera Rocha & Anabela Carneiro & Celeste Amorim Varum, 2013. "Entrepreneurship Dynamics: Entry Routes, Business-Owner's Persistence and Exit Modes," CEF.UP Working Papers 1310, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2011.
"Stability analysis in a Bertrand duopoly with different product quality and heterogeneous expectations,"
33480, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luciano Fanti & Luca Gori, 2013. "Stability Analysis in a Bertrand Duopoly with Different Product Quality and Heterogeneous Expectations," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 481-501, December.
- Luciano Fanti & Luca Gori, 2011. "Stability analysis in a Bertrand duopoly with different product quality and heterogeneous expectations," Discussion Papers 2011/122, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.