Improving Willingness to Pay Estimates for Quality Improvements Throught Joint Estimation with Quality Perceptions
AbstractWillingness to pay for quality change may depend on heterogeneous perceived quality levels. In these instances, contingent valuation studies should include measures of quality perceptions as covariates in the willingness to pay model in order to avoid omitted variable bias. Variation in quality perceptions across respondents leads to a potential endogeneity of quality perceptions. We address the potential for endogeneity bias using an instrumental variable approach in which a measure of quality perceptions is included as a determinant of willingness to pay and is simultaneously determined by various exogenous factors. The willingness to pay model is estimated jointly with quality perceptions allowing for correlation of the error terms. Using data on willingness to pay for water quality improvements in the Neuse River in North Carolina we reject exogeneity of perceived quality. Correcting for endogeneity improves the measurement of willingness to pay by differentiating willingness to pay among respondents with heterogeneous quality perceptions
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in its series NCEE Working Paper Series with number 200508.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2005
Date of revision: Aug 2005
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1200 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20460
Web page: http://yosemite.epa.gov/ee/epa/eed.nsf/webpages/homepage
More information through EDIRC
willingness to pay; quality perceptions; endogeneity;
Other versions of this item:
- John C. Whitehead, 2006. "Improving Willingness to Pay Estimates for Quality Improvements through Joint Estimation with Quality Perceptions," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 100â111, July.
- John C. Whitehead, 2005. "Improving Willingness to Pay Estimates for Quality Improvements through Joint Estimation with Quality Perceptions," Working Papers 05-09, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:jaa:jagape:v:31:y:1999:i:1:p:177-84 is not listed on IDEAS
- John C. Whitehead & Timothy Haab & Ju-Chin Huang, .
"Part-Whole Bias in Contingent Valuation: Will Scope Effects Be Detected with Inexpensive Survey Methods?,"
9707, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- John C. Whitehead & Timothy C. Haab & Ju-Chin Huang, 1998. "Part-Whole Bias in Contingent Valuation: Will Scope Effects Be Detected with Inexpensive Survey Methods?," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(1), pages 160-168, July.
- John C. Whitehead, 2002. "Incentive Incompatibility and Starting-Point Bias in Iterative Valuation Questions," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(2), pages 285-297.
- Clifford, William B. & Hoban, Thomas J. & Whitehead, John C., 2001. "Willingness To Pay For Agricultural Research And Extension Programs," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(01), April.
- Seung-Hoon Yoo & Hee-Jong Yang, 2001. "Application of Sample Selection Model to Double-Bounded Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Studies," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 20(2), pages 147-163, October.
- Hurley, Terrance M. & Otto, Daniel & Holtkamp, Janice, 1999.
"Valuation of Water Quality in Livestock Regions: An Application to Rural Watersheds in Iowa,"
Staff General Research Papers
5151, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hurley, Terrance M. & Otto, Daniel M. & Holtkamp, Janice, 1999. "Valuation Of Water Quality In Livestock Regions: An Application To Rural Watersheds In Iowa," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(01), April.
- Hoehn, John P. & Randall, Alan, 1987. "A satisfactory benefit cost indicator from contingent valuation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 226-247, September.
- Blomquist, Glenn C. & Whitehead, John C., 1998. "Resource quality information and validity of willingness to pay in contingent valuation," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 179-196, June.
- Cameron, Trudy Ann & Huppert, Daniel D., 1989. "OLS versus ML estimation of non-market resource values with payment card interval data," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 230-246, November.
- Viscusi, W Kip, 1989. " Prospective Reference Theory: Toward an Explanation of the Paradoxes," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 235-63, September.
- Mi-Jung Um & Seung-Jun Kwak & Tai-Yoo Kim, 2002. "Estimating Willingness to Pay for Improved Drinking Water Quality Using Averting Behavior Method with Perception Measure," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 21(3), pages 285-300, March.
- Hoehn, John P. & Randall, Alan, 2002. "The effect of resource quality information on resource injury perceptions and contingent values," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 13-31, February.
- Smith, Richard J & Blundell, Richard W, 1986. "An Exogeneity Test for a Simultaneous Equation Tobit Model with an Application to Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 679-85, May.
- Lyssenko, Nikita & Martinez-Espineira, Roberto, 2009. "`Been there done that': Disentangling option value effects from user heterogeneity when valuing natural resources with a use component," MPRA Paper 21976, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 08 Apr 2010.
- Devkota, Nirmala & Paudel, Krishna P. & Parajuli, Shanta, 2009. "Broiler Producers’ Willingness To Pay To Manage Nutrient Pollution," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46825, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00497453 is not listed on IDEAS
- Céline Nauges & Dale Whittington, 2010.
"Estimation of Water Demand in Developing Countries: An Overview,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 25(2), pages 263-294, August.
- NAUGES CÃ©line & WHITTINGTON Dale, 2008. "Estimation of Water Demand in Developing Countries: An Overview," LERNA Working Papers 08.20.264, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Onjala, Joseph & Ndiritu, Simon Wagura & Stage, Jesper, 2013. "Risk Perception, Choice of Drinking Water, and Water Treatment: Evidence from Kenyan Towns," Discussion Papers dp-13-10-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Khatri-Chhetri, Arun & Collins, Alan R., 2011. "Estimation of a Surface Water Quality Valuation Index for the Appalachian Region," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103653, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cynthia Morgan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.