Valuation of Water Quality in Livestock Regions: An Application to Rural Watersheds in Iowa
AbstractThis paper investigates rural residents' perceptions of the risk to water quality from large confinement facilities and their willingness to pay to delay nitrate contamination from these facilities. Rural residents are concerned about the environmental impact of confinement facilities and are willing to pay as much as $82 annually to delay nitrate contamination in their water for 20 years. These contingent valuation results are consistent with the result obtained in similar studies that used hedonic valuation methods.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 5151.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1999
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Spring 1999,
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Hurley, Terrance M. & Otto, Daniel M. & Holtkamp, Janice, 1999. "Valuation Of Water Quality In Livestock Regions: An Application To Rural Watersheds In Iowa," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(01), April.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dermot J. Hayes & Daniel M. Otto & John D. Lawrence, 1996.
"Pork Production in Iowa: An Industry at a Crossroads,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
96-bp10, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Dermot J. Hayes & Daniel M. Otto & John D. Lawrence, 1996. "Pork Production in Iowa: An Industry at a Crossroads," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 96-bp10, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Paul R. Portney, 1994. "The Contingent Valuation Debate: Why Economists Should Care," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 3-17, Fall.
- W. Michael Hanemann, 1994. "Valuing the Environment through Contingent Valuation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 19-43, Fall.
- Herriges, Joseph A. & Shogren, Jason F., 1996.
"Starting Point Bias in Dichotomous Choice Valuation with Follow-Up Questioning,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 112-131, January.
- Herriges, Joseph A. & Shogren, Jason F., 1996. "Starting Point Bias in Dichotomous Choice Valuation with Follow-Up Questioning," Staff General Research Papers 1501, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Peter A. Diamond & Jerry A. Hausman, 1994. "Contingent Valuation: Is Some Number Better than No Number?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 45-64, Fall.
- Kevin J. Boyle & Richard C. Bishop & Michael P. Welsh, 1985. "Starting Point Bias in Contingent Valuation Bidding Games," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(2), pages 188-194.
- Eduardo Beamonte Córdoba & José D. Bermúdez Edo & Alejandro Casino Martínez & Ernesto J. Veres Ferrer, 2007. "Medición de la calidad del agua del trasvase del Ebro (tramo Castellón-Mijares): valoración del coste económico asociado a la adecuación de calidades/Water Quality Measurement in the Ebro Transfe," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 25, pages 573-586, Abril.
- John C. Whitehead, 2006.
"Improving Willingness to Pay Estimates for Quality Improvements through Joint Estimation with Quality Perceptions,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 100â111, July.
- John C. Whitehead, 2005. "Improving Willingness to Pay Estimates for Quality Improvements through Joint Estimation with Quality Perceptions," Working Papers 05-09, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- John C. Whitehead, 2005. "Improving Willingness to Pay Estimates for Quality Improvements Throught Joint Estimation with Quality Perceptions," NCEE Working Paper Series 200508, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Aug 2005.
- D'Souza, Gerard E. & Collins, Alan R. & Benson, Matt & Borisova, Tatiana, 2006. "Differences among Watershed Sub-Populations in Willingness to Pay for Water Quality Improvements: The Impact of TMDL Development," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21195, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.