Current Accounts and Exchange Rates: A New Look at the Evidence
AbstractThis paper 'goes back to basics' in empirical analysis of the J-Curve. First, we document strong violations in the distributional assumptions that underlie nearly all previous work on this issue. Second, we employ distribution-free, non-parametric statistical tests to characterize the data and summarize the key relationships between real exchange rates, the current account, and real GDP. We find some (weak) evidence of a J-Curve in the data. Interestingly, however, we document that this evidence is not consistent with the standard theoretical explanation of the J-Curve. Consequently, our empirical results pose a strong challenge for international economic theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 8361.
Date of creation: Jul 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Leonard, Greg & Stockman, Alan C, 2002. "Current Accounts and Exchange Rates: A New Look at the Evidence," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 483-96, August.
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul R. Krugman & Richard E. Baldwin, 1987. "The Persistence of the U.S. Trade Deficit," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(1), pages 1-56.
- David K. Backus & Patrick J. Kehoe & Finn E. Kydland, 1991.
"International real business cycles,"
146, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Rose, Andrew K. & Yellen, Janet L., 1989. "Is there a J-curve?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 53-68, July.
- Moffett, Michael H., 1989. "The J-curve revisited: an empirical examination for the United States," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 425-444, September.
- Betts, Caroline & Devereux, Michael B., 1996. "The exchange rate in a model of pricing-to-market," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1007-1021, April.
- Michael, Panos & Nobay, A Robert & Peel, David A, 1997.
"Transactions Costs and Nonlinear Adjustment in Real Exchange Rates: An Empirical Investigation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(4), pages 862-79, August.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Michael-Nobay-Peel ESTAR models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00113, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Cavallo, Michele & Ghironi, Fabio, 2002.
"Net foreign assets and the exchange rate: Redux revived,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(5), pages 1057-1097, July.
- Michele Cavallo & Fabio Ghironi, 2000. "Net Foreign Assets and the Exchange Rate: Redux Revived," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 505, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Feb 2002.
- Olivier, CARDI, 2005.
"Another View of the J-Curve,"
Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques)
2005029, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Charikleia Economidou & Gour Goswami, 2006. "Bilateral J-curve between the UK vis-a-vis her major trading partners," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 879-888.
- Marques, Luis B, 2007. "The Costs to Consumers of a Depreciated Conversion Rate to the Euro," MPRA Paper 5723, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jens R Clausen & Magda Kandil, 2009.
"On Cyclicality in the Current and Financial Accounts: Evidence from Nine Industrial Countries,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(3), pages 338-366.
- Jens R. Clausen & Magda E. Kandil, 2005. "On Cyclicality in the Current and Financial Accounts: Evidence from Nine Industrial Countries," IMF Working Papers 05/56, International Monetary Fund.
- Elif Akbostanci, 2002. "Dynamics of the trade balance: The Turkish J-curve," ERC Working Papers 0205, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised May 2002.
- Arghyrou, Michael G & Chortareas, Georgios, 2006.
"Current Account Imbalances and Real Exchange Rates in the Euro Area,"
Cardiff Economics Working Papers
E2006/23, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Michael G. Arghyrou & Georgios Chortareas, 2008. "Current Account Imbalances and Real Exchange Rates in the Euro Area," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(4), pages 747-764, 09.
- Ahmad, A. H. & Pentecost, E. J., 2012. "The Current Account and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in African Countries," Department of Economics Working Papers 32981, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- Theo Panagiotidis & Mark J Holmes, 2005. "Sustainability and Asymmetric Adjustment: Some New Evidence Concerning Behaviour of the US Current Account," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 29, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Olugbenga Onafowora, 2003. "Exchange rate and trade balance in east asia: is there a J-curve?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(18), pages 1-13.
- Mohamed Arouri & Arif Billah Dar & Niyati Bhanja & Aviral Kumar Tiwari & FrÃ©dÃ©ricTeulon, 2014. "Interlinkage between Real Exchange rate and Current Account Behaviors: Evidence from India," Working Papers 2014-088, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Chayawadee Chai-anant & Ubonrat Jantarang, 2004. "Current Account Adjustment and Policy Instrument Responsiveness," Working Papers 2004-04, Economic Research Department, Bank of Thailand.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2003:i:18:p:1-13 is not listed on IDEAS
- CARDI, Oliver & BERTINELLI, Luisito, 2004. "A formal model of krugman’s intuition on the J-curve," CORE Discussion Papers 2004043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.