The Informational Content of Initial Public Offerings
AbstractThe ability of capital markets to distinguish firms of different value by the size of their initial equity offerings is attenuated when insiders can sell equity more than once. A model is developed in which there is price risk from holding equity between periods. When the uncertainty is small. there must be pooling in the first period. When uncertainty is large. the pooling equilibria dominate the separating equilibrium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 3259.
Date of creation: Feb 1990
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published as "The Information Content of Initial Public Offerings", JF, Vol. 44, no. 2 (1989): 469-478.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Gale, Ian L & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1989. " The Informational Content of Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(2), pages 469-77, June.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Keasey, Kevin & McGuinness, Paul B., 2008. "Firm value and its relation to equity retention levels, forecast earnings disclosures and underpricing in initial public offerings in Hong Kong," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 642-662, December.
- Lee, Philip J. & Taylor, Stephen L. & Walter, Terry S., 1996. "Australian IPO pricing in the short and long run," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 1189-1210, August.
- Klaus Ritzberger & Frank Milne, 2002. "Strategic pricing of equity issues," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 271-294.
- Firth, Michael, 1997. "An analysis of the stock market performance of new issues in New Zealand," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 63-85, February.
- Fei Jiang & Lawrence A. Leger, 2010. "The impact on performance of IPO allocation reform: An event study of Shanghai Stock Exchange A-shares," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(3), pages 251-272, August.
- Cantale, Salvatore & Russino, Annalisa, 2004. "Putable common stock," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 753-775, November.
- Lee, Philip J. & Taylor, Stephen L. & Walter, Terry S., 1996. "Expected and realised returns for Singaporean IPOs: Initial and long-run analysis," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 153-180, July.
- Wolfgang Bessler & Stefan Thies, 2006. "Initial Public Offerings, Subsequent Seasoned Equity Offerings, and Long-Run Performance: Evidence from IPOs in Germany," Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, vol. 11(3), pages 1-37, Fall.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.