The Early History of Price Index Research
AbstractThis paper examines the domestic and foreign fixed investment expenditures of a sample of U.S. multinational firms to explain empirically each type of investment and to determine whether there are significant interactions between them. Models exhibiting two types of interactions, one, financial and the other, production-based, are explored theoretically and empirically. The financial interaction is the result of a model which assumes a risk of bankruptcy and its associated costs; under these circumstances, the firm faces an increasing cost of capital as a function of its debt/equity ratio. Domestic and foreign investment are interdependent, since, in competing for finance, each affects the cost of capital in the other location. Production interactions can arise when, because of start-up costs or other factors that produce nonlinear cost functions, it may become profitable to shift production from the home to the foreign location. The hypotheses are tested on data covering the domestic and foreign operations of seven multinational firms for a period of 16 to 20 years. The firm level investment functions fit reasonably well for both domestic and foreign expenditures; an interdependence between domestic and foreign investment was confirmed frequently through the finance side, but only once via production.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 2713.
Date of creation: Sep 1988
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balk, Bert M, 1981. "Second Thoughts on Wald's Cost-of-Living Index and Frisch's Double Expenditure Method," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1553-58, November.
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, December.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Robert B. Archibald, 1977. "On the Theory of Industrial Price Measurement Output Price Indexes," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 6, number 1, pages 57-72 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William D. Nordhaus, 1996.
"Do Real-Output and Real-Wage Measures Capture Reality? The History of Lighting Suggests Not,"
in: The Economics of New Goods, pages 27-70
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William D. Nordhaus, 1994. "Do Real Output and Real Wage Measures Capture Reality? The History of Lighting Suggests Not," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1078, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Keith M. Carlson, 1989. "Do price indexes tell us about inflation? A review of the issue," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 12-30.
- Santiago Rodriguez Feijoo & Alejandro Rodriguez Caro & Carlos Gonzalez Correa, 2003. "A measurement to analyze the relative change in the Absolute Parity of Power Purchase: An application to the European Union," ERSA conference papers ersa03p163, European Regional Science Association.
- Georganta, Zoe, 1997. "The effect of a free market price mechanism on total factor productivity: The case of the agricultural crop industry in Greece," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 55-71, October.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Zvi Griliches & Joshua G. Rosett, 1992.
"Auditing the Producer Price Index: Micro Evidence From Prescription Pharmaceutical Preparations,"
NBER Working Papers
4009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Griliches, Zvi & Rosett, Joshua G, 1993. "Auditing the Producer Price Index: Micro Evidence from Prescription Pharamceutical Preparations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(3), pages 251-64, July.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1995. "Price and Volume Measures in the System of National Accounts," NBER Working Papers 5103, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Zvi Griliches & Joshua G. Rosett, 1990. "On the Accuracy of Producer Price Indexes for Pharmaceutical Preparations: An Audit Based on Detailed Firm-Specific Data," NBER Working Papers 3490, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.