Measuring productivity in the public sector: some conceptual problems
AbstractIn many sectors of the economy, governments either provide various services at no cost or at highly subsidized prices. Examples are the health, education and general government sectors. The paper analyzes three possible general methods to measure the price and quantity of nonmarket government outputs. If quantity information on nonmarket outputs is available, then the first two methods of price valuation rely on either purchaser based valuations or on cost based valuations. If little or no information on the quantity of nonmarket outputs produced is available, then the method recommended in the System of National Accounts 1993 must be used, where aggregate output growth is set equal to aggregate input growth. The paper also discusses various methods of adjusting for quality change.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Productivity Analysis.
Volume (Year): 36 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100296
Measurement of output; Input and productivity; Nonmarket sector; Health; Education; General government; Cost functions; Duality theory; Marginal cost prices; Quality adjustment; Hedonic regressions; Index number theory; C43; D24; E23; H40; H51; H52; I12; I20;
Other versions of this item:
- Diewert, Erwin, 2010. "Measuring Productivity in the Public Sector: Some Conceptual Problems," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2010-6, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 13 Jul 2010.
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- E23 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Production
- H40 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - General
- H51 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Health
- H52 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Education
- I - Health, Education, and Welfare
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erwin Diewert & Saeed Heravi & Mick Silver, 2008.
"Hedonic Imputation versus Time Dummy Hedonic Indexes,"
NBER Working Papers
14018, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. Erwin Diewert & Saeed Heravi & Mick Silver, 2009. "Hedonic Imputation versus Time Dummy Hedonic Indexes," NBER Chapters, in: Price Index Concepts and Measurement, pages 161-196 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. E. Diewert & Mick Silver & Saeed Heravi, 2007. "Hedonic Imputation Versus Time Dummy Hedonic Indexes," IMF Working Papers 07/234, International Monetary Fund.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Kholi, U. & Fox, K., 1996.
"GDP Growth, Terms-of-Trade Effects and Total Factor Productivity,"
96/28, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Kevin Fox & Ulrich Kohli, 1998. "GDP growth, terms-of-trade effects, and total factor productivity," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 87-110.
- Dan Usher, 1980. "The Measurement of Capital," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number ushe80-1, October.
- Triplett, Jack E & McDonald, Richard J, 1977. "Assessing the Quality Error in Output Measures: The Case of Refrigerators," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 23(2), pages 137-56, June.
- Diewert, W E, 1992. "The Measurement of Productivity," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 163-98, July.
- Diewart, W Erwin & Morrison, Catherine J, 1986.
"Adjusting Output and Productivity Indexes for Changes in the Terms of Trade,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(383), pages 659-79, September.
- W.E. Diewert & Catherine J. Morrison, 1985. "Adjusting Output and Productivity Indexes for Changes in the Terms of Trade," NBER Working Papers 1564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, W Erwin, 1983. " The Measurement of Waste within the Production Sector of an Open Economy," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(2), pages 159-79.
- Robert B. Archibald, 1977. "On the Theory of Industrial Price Measurement Output Price Indexes," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 6, number 1, pages 57-72 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. Diewert & Alice Nakamura, 2003. "Index Number Concepts, Measures and Decompositions of Productivity Growth," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 127-159, April.
- F. M. Fisher & K. Shell, 1970. "The Pure Theory of the National-Output Deflator," Working papers 59, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Diewert, Erwin & Fox, Kevin J., 2014.
"Decomposing Bjurek Productivity Indexes into Explanatory Factors,"
Economics working papers
erwin_diewert-2014-32, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 30 Jun 2014.
- W. Erwin Diewert & Kevin J. Fox, 2014. "Decomposing Bjurek Productivity Indexes into Explanatory Factors," Discussion Papers 2014-33, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Paul Schreyer & Matilde Mas, 2013. "Measuring Health Services in the National Accounts: An International Perspective," NBER Chapters, in: Measuring and Modeling Health Care Costs National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Førsund, Finn R., 2012. "Measuring Efficiency in the Public Sector," Memorandum 09/2012, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Savona, Maria & Steinmueller, W. Edward, 2013. "Service output, innovation and productivity: A time-based conceptual framework," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 118-132.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.