Patterns of Convergence and Divergence in the Euro Area
AbstractWe study the extent of macroeconomic convergence/divergence among euro area countries. Our analysis focuses on four variables (unemployment, inflation, relative prices and the current account), and seeks to uncover the role played by monetary union as a convergence factor by using non-euro developed economies and the pre-EMU period as control samples
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 19561.
Date of creation: Oct 2013
Date of revision:
Note: EFG IFM ME
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Ángel Estrada & Jordi Galí & David López-Salido, 2013. "Patterns of convergence and divergence in the euro area," Economics Working Papers, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra 1386, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ángel Estrada & Jordi Galí & David López-Salido, 2013. "Patterns of Convergence and Divergence in the Euro Area," Working Papers 722, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-11-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2013-11-02 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2013-11-02 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2013-11-02 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2013-11-02 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Papaioannou, Elias & Peydró, José-Luis, 2010.
"What lies beneath the euro's effect on financial integration? Currency risk, legal harmonization, or trade?,"
Journal of International Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 75-88, May.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Papaioannou, Elias & Peydró-Alcalde, José Luis, 2009. "What Lies Beneath the Euro's Effect on Financial Integration? Currency Risk, Legal Harmonization, or Trade?," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 7314, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Elias Papaioannou & José-Luis Peydró, 2009. "What Lies Beneath the Euro's Effect on Financial Integration: Currency Risk, Legal Harmonization, or Trade?," NBER Working Papers 15034, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Papaioannou, Elias & Peydró, José-Luis, 2010. "What lies beneath the euro's effect on financial integration? Currency risk, legal harmonization, or trade?," Working Paper Series, European Central Bank 1216, European Central Bank.
- Andrés, Javier & Ortega, Eva & Vallés, Javier, 2008. "Competition and inflation differentials in EMU," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 848-874, March.
- Bela Balassa, 1964. "The Purchasing-Power Parity Doctrine: A Reappraisal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 584.
- Philip R. Lane, 2006. "The Real Effects of European Monetary Union," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 47-66, Fall.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2007. "Adjustment within the euro. The difficult case of Portugal," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 1-21, April.
- Teresa Sastre & Francesca Viani, 2014. "Countries’ safety and competitiveness, and the estimation of current account misalignments," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers, Banco de Espaï¿½a 1401, Banco de Espa�a.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2013. "Changes in the Eurozone governance after the crisis and the issue of growth," MPRA Paper 51458, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniele Schiliro, 2014. "Changes in Eurozone Governance after the Crisis and the Issue of Growth," International Journal of Social Science Studies, Redfame publishing, Redfame publishing, vol. 2(2), pages 110-119, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.