Crisis and Responses: the Federal Reserve and the Financial Crisis of 2007-2008
AbstractRealizing that their traditional instruments were inadequate for responding to the crisis that began on 9 August 2007, Federal Reserve officials improvised. Beginning in mid-December 2007, they implemented a series of changes directed at ensuring that liquidity would be distributed to those institutions that needed it most. Conceptually, this meant America's central bankers shifted from focusing solely on the size of their balance sheet, which they use to keep the overnight interbank lending rate close to their chosen target, to manipulating the composition of their assets as well. In this paper, I examine the Federal Reserve's conventional and unconventional responses to the financial crisis of 2007-2008.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 14134.
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-07-05 (Central Banking)
- NEP-HPE-2008-07-05 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2008-07-05 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2008-07-05 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John B. Taylor & John C. Williams, 2009.
"A black swan in the money market,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jan.
- James McAndrews & Asani Sarkar & Zhenyu Wang, 2008. "The effect of the Term Auction Facility on the London Inter-Bank Offered Rate," Staff Reports 335, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Artuç, Erhan & Demiralp, Selva, 2010.
"Discount window borrowing after 2003: The explicit reduction in implicit costs,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 825-833, April.
- Selva Demiralp & Erhan Artuç, 2007. "Discount Window Borrowing after 2003: The Explicit Reduction in Implicit Costs," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 0708, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Peter Hördahl & Michael R King, 2008. "Developments in repo markets during the financial turmoil," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Christian Calmès & Raymond Théoret, 2009. "The Impact of Banking Deregulation on Canadian Banks Returns," RePAd Working Paper Series UQO-DSA-wp022009, Département des sciences administratives, UQO.
- Spence Hilton & James McAndrews, 2011. "Challenges and lessons of the Federal Reserve's monetary policy operations during the financial crisis," Chapters, European Central Bank.
- Christian Calmès & Raymond Théoret, 2009.
"The Impact of Off-Balance-Sheet Activities on Banks Returns: An Application of the ARCH-M to Canadian Data,"
RePAd Working Paper Series
UQO-DSA-wp032009, Département des sciences administratives, UQO.
- Calmès, Christian & Théoret, Raymond, 2010. "The impact of off-balance-sheet activities on banks returns: An application of the ARCH-M to Canadian data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1719-1728, July.
- Lagos, Ricardo & Rocheteau, Guillaume & Weill, Pierre-Olivier, 2011.
"Crises and liquidity in over-the-counter markets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 146(6), pages 2169-2205.
- Pierre-Olivier Weill & Guillaume Rocheteau & Ricardo Lagos, 2010. "Crises and Liquidity in Over-the-counter Markets," 2010 Meeting Papers 500, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2009. "Crises and Liquidity in Over-the-Counter Markets," NBER Working Papers 15414, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Etienne B. Yehoue, 2009. "Emerging Economy Responses to the Global Financial Crisis of 2007-09: An Empirical Analysis of the Liquidity Easing Measures," IMF Working Papers 09/265, International Monetary Fund.
- Christian Calmès & Raymond Théoret, 2008. "Banking Deregulation and Financial Stability : is it Time to re-regulate in Canada ?," RePAd Working Paper Series UQO-DSA-wp042008, Département des sciences administratives, UQO.
- Cordelius Ilgmann & Ulrich van Suntum, . "Bad Banks: The Case of Germany," Working Papers 200110, Institute of Spatial and Housing Economics, Munster Universitary.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.