Effects of Taxes on Economic Behavior
AbstractThis paper discusses how the effects of taxes on economic behavior are important for revenue estimation, for calculating efficiency effects, and for understanding short-term macroeconomoic consequences. The primary focus is on taxes on labor income but some attention is given to taxes on income from saving. Specific calculations illustrate the importance of behavioral responses for accurate calculation of the revenue effects and deadweight losses of tax changes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 13745.
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as "Effects of Taxes on Economic Behavior," in The National Tax Journal,, Vol. LXI, No. 1, March 2008, pp 131-39. NBER Working Paper 13745, January 2008.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H2 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-PBE-2008-01-26 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2008-01-26 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mikhail Golosov & Aleh Tsyvinski, 2006.
"Optimal Taxation with Endogenous Insurance Markets,"
784828000000000445, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Mikhail Golosov, 2007. "Optimal Taxation With Endogenous Insurance Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 122(2), pages 487-534, 05.
- Mikhail Golosov & Aleh Tsyvinski, 2005. "Optimal Taxation with Endogenous Insurance Markets," NBER Working Papers 11185, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tsyvinski, A. & Golosov, M., 2004. "Optimal Taxation with Endogenous Insurance Markets," 2004 Meeting Papers, Society for Economic Dynamics 124, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Alexander Gelber, 2008. "Taxation and Family Labor Supply," 2008 Meeting Papers 249, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gruber, Jon & Saez, Emmanuel, 2002.
"The elasticity of taxable income: evidence and implications,"
Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 1-32, April.
- Jon Gruber & Emmanuel Saez, 2000. "The Elasticity of Taxable Income: Evidence and Implications," NBER Working Papers 7512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Erdős, Tibor, 2014.
"Az adózás, a hatékonyság és a gazdasági növekedés kapcsolatának néhány elméleti problémája
[Some Theoretical Problems with the Relation between Taxation, Efficiency and Economic Growt," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(S6), pages 1-76.
- Tomasz Skica & Tomasz Wo³owiec & Pavel Pavlov, 2014. "Eeconomic Relations Between Personal And Corporate Income Tax," "e-Finanse", University of Information Technology and Management, Institute of Financial Research and Analysis, vol. 10(1), pages 60-68, June.
- Pierre-Carl Michaud & Dana Goldman & Darius Lakdawalla & Yuhui Zhen & Adam H. Gailey, 2011.
"The Value of Medican and Pharmaceutical Interventions for Reducing Obesity,"
Cahiers de recherche, CIRPEE
- Michaud, Pierre-Carl & Goldman, Dana P. & Lakdawalla, Darius N. & Zheng, Yuhui & Gailey, Adam H., 2012. "The value of medical and pharmaceutical interventions for reducing obesity," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 630-643.
- Forni, Lorenzo & Gerali, Andrea & Pisani, Massimiliano, 2010. "The macroeconomics of fiscal consolidations in euro area countries," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1791-1812, September.
- Hammar, Henrik & Sjöström, Magnus, 2011. "Accounting for behavioral effects of increases in the carbon dioxide (CO2) tax in revenue estimation in Sweden," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 6672-6676, October.
- Nisha Arunatilake & Priyanka Jayawardena & Anushka Wijesinha, 2012. "Tax Reforms in Sri Lanka: will a Tax on Public Servants Improve Progressivity?," Working Papers PMMA, PEP-PMMA 2012-13, PEP-PMMA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.