Why Barriers to Entry are Barriers to Understanding
AbstractThis paper discusses and criticizes the usual definitions of barriers to entry. The failure of the concept of barrier to entry to incorporate a time dimension means that it is a concept that is in need of additional embellishment in order to be useful in a practical problem or for antitrust or regulatory proceedings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 10577.
Date of creation: Jun 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Dennis W. Carlton, 2004. "Why Barriers to Entry Are Barriers to Understanding," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 466-470, May.
- L0 - Industrial Organization - - General
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-06-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2004-06-27 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENT-2004-06-27 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-IND-2004-07-26 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demsetz, Harold, 1982.
"Barriers to Entry,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 47-57, March.
- Federico Ciliberto & Jonathan W. Williams, 2010.
"Limited Access to Airport Facilities and Market Power in the Airline Industry,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(3), pages 467 - 495.
- Ciliberto, Federico & Williams, Jonathan, 2009. "Limited Access to Airport Facilities and Market Power in the Airline Industry," MPRA Paper 24889, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kotsios, Panayotis, 2010. "Regulatory Barriers to Entry in Industrial Sectors," MPRA Paper 27976, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Braguinsky, Serguey & Rose, David C., 2009. "Competition, cooperation, and the neighboring farmer effect," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 361-376, October.
- Bruno, Randolph Luca & Bytchkova, Maria & Estrin, Saul, 2008.
"Institutional Determinants of New Firm Entry in Russia: A Cross Regional Analysis,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3724, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- R. L. Bruno & M. Bytchkova & S. Estrin, 2008. "Institutional Determinants of New Firm Entry in Russia: A Cross Regional Analysis," Working Papers 650, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Bruno, Randolph & Bytchkova, Maria & Estrin, Saul, 2011.
"Institutions And Entry: A Cross-Regional Analysis In Russia,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8283, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bruno, Randolph Luca & Bytchkova, Maria & Estrin, Saul, 2011. "Institutions and Entry: A Cross-Regional Analysis in Russia," IZA Discussion Papers 5504, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kaplow, Louis & Shapiro, Carl, 2007.
Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series
qt9pt7p9bm, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Cabral, Luís, 2012. "Oligopoly Dynamics," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 278-282.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Jeffrey R. Campbell, 2006. "Oligopoly dynamics with barriers to entry," Working Paper Series WP-06-29, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Lambie, N. Ross, 2009. "The role of real options analysis in the design of a greenhouse gas emissions trading scheme," 2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia 47626, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 2004.
"Sunk Costs and Antitrust Barriers to Entry,"
4457-04, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- James G. Mulligan, 2006. "Endogenously determined Quality and Price In a Two-Sector Competitive Service Market With an Application to Down-Hill Skiing," Working Papers 06-01, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 2009. "Sunk Costs and Risk-Based Barriers to Entry," NBER Working Papers 14755, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.