The Organization of Industry
AbstractThe Organization of Industry collects essays written over two decades—pieces prepared especially for this volume, previously unpublished material, and reprinted articles drawn from numerous sources, many which include additional commentary by the author. The essays are unified by George J. Stigler's careful analysis and by his clear and witty style. In part one, Stigler examines the nature of competition and monopoly. In part two he discusses the forces that determine the size structure of industry, including barriers to entry, economics of scale, and mergers. Part three contains articles on a wide range of topics, such as profitability, delivered price systems, block booking, the economics of information, and the kinky oligopoly demand curve and rigid price. Part four offers a discussion of antitrust policy and includes Stigler's recommendations for future policy as well as an examination of the effects of past policies. "Stigler's writings might well be subtitled 'The Joys of Doing Economics.' He, more than any other contemporary American economist, dispels the gloom surrounding economic theory. It is impossible to confront the subject treated with such humor and verve and come away still believing that economics is the dismal science."—Shirley B. Johnson, American Scholar
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by University of Chicago Press in its series University of Chicago Press Economics Books with number 9780226774329 and published in 1983.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://press.uchicago.edu
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marek Loužek, 2011. "100 Years Since the Birth of George Stigler," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2011(3), pages 407-424.
- de Mesnard, Louis, 2009.
"Is the French mobile phone cartel really a cartel?,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 663-677, December.
- Mesnard, Louis de, 2009. "Is the French mobile phone cartel really a cartel?," LEG - Document de travail - Economie 2009-02, LEG, Laboratoire d'Economie et de Gestion, CNRS, Université de Bourgogne.
- Aurélien Portuese, 2012. "Law and economics of the European multilingualism," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 279-325, October.
- Long, Ruyin & Chen, Hong & Li, Huijuan & Wang, Fei, 2013. "Selecting alternative industries for Chinese resource cities based on intra- and inter-regional comparative advantages," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 82-88.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Books Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.