Testing for Individual Effects in Dynamic Models Using Panel Data
AbstractThis note presents a simple, linear test for individual effects in dynamic models using panel data; building upon the techniques of Holtz-Eakin, Newey, and Rosen (HNR) [198S] for estimating vector autoregressions using panel data. While implementing estimators which are consistent in the presence of individual effects is straightforward, there is no guarantee that this form of heterogeneity is an -important feature of the data. Moreover, there are advantages to avoiding an individual v effects specification. Thus, it is useful to have a test for the existence of individual effects. The test focuses on sample moment conditions implied by the presence of individual effects and is particularly suited for dynamic models using panel data. The calculations follow directly from linear, instrumental variable techniques which are computationally straightforward. Moreover, the test statistics follows directly from the estimation of autoregressive models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Technical Working Papers with number 0057.
Date of creation: Jun 1986
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Taylor, William E., 1981.
"Panel data and unobservable individual effects,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 155-155, May.
- Joseph Altonji & Christina Paxson, 1985.
"Job Characteristics and Hours of Work,"
578, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & Whitney K. Newey & Harvey S. Rosen, 1989. "Implementing Causality Tests with Panel Data, with an Example from LocalPublic Finance," NBER Technical Working Papers 0048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Nicholas Apergis & John Sorros, 2010. "Disaggregated Earnings and Stock Prices: Evidence from International Listed Shipping Firms," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 269-281, August.
- repec:fth:prinin:222 is not listed on IDEAS
- Apergis, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2010. "Renewable energy consumption and economic growth: Evidence from a panel of OECD countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 656-660, January.
- Apergis, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2010. "A panel study of nuclear energy consumption and economic growth," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 545-549, May.
- Nicholas Apergis & John Sorros, 2011. "Long-Term Debt and the Value of the Firm,Evidence from International Listed Manufacturing Firms," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 1, pages 60-72, February.
- repec:pri:indrel:602 is not listed on IDEAS
- Apergis, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2009. "Energy consumption and economic growth: Evidence from the Commonwealth of Independent States," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 641-647, September.
- Nicholas Apergis & John Sorros, 2013. "The role of fixed capital depreciations for TFP growth: evidence from firm level panel data estimates," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 606-621, October.
- Apergis, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2010. "The emissions, energy consumption, and growth nexus: Evidence from the commonwealth of independent states," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 650-655, January.
- Apergis, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2010. "Coal consumption and economic growth: Evidence from a panel of OECD countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 1353-1359, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.