The determinants of occupational choice in Colombia : an empirical analysis
AbstractThis economic study focuses on the determinants of self-employment / wage-work choice using a large sample of Colombian men. The econometric model is based on simultaneous determination of the choice of employment status and potential earnings, it accounts for self-selectivity. Our major findings are : (1) relative potential earnings are the main determinant of occupational choice. (2) Unlike previous studies of self-employment choice, we find a negative selection bias into self-employment. It suggests that in Colombia the decision of becoming independent might be constrained. (3) The differences in potential earnings between the two sectors are mostly due to unobserved factors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1) in its series Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques with number bla04065a.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: May 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 106 - 112 boulevard de l'Hôpital, 75647 Paris cedex 13
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Self-employment; occupational choice; labour markets; Colombia.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1982. "Self-Employment and Labor Force Participation of Older Males," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 17(3), pages 339-357.
- Blanchflower, D.G. & Oswald, A., 1991.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99125, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Kidd, Michael P, 1993.
"Immigrant Wage Differentials and the Role of Self-Employment in Australia,"
Australian Economic Papers,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(60), pages 92-115, June.
- Kidd, M.P., 1993. "Immigrant Wage Differentials and the Role of Self-Employment in Australia," CEPR Discussion Papers 291, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Kidd, M.P., 1990. "Immigrant Wage Differentials And The Role Of Self- Employment In Australia," Papers 1990-07, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
- Maloney, William F., 1999. "Self-employment and labor turnover - cross-country evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2102, The World Bank.
- Irwin Bernhardt, 1994. "Comparative Advantage in Self-Employment and Paid Work," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(2), pages 273-89, May.
- Pierre Huyette, 1997. "Mobilité et informalité : des nouvelles formes aux régulations modernes de l'emploi en Colombie," Revue Tiers Monde, Programme National Persée, vol. 38(152), pages 753-776.
- Dolton, Peter J & Makepeace, G H, 1990. "The Earnings of Economics Graduates," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(399), pages 237-50, March.
- Blanchflower, David G & Meyer, Bruce D, 1994. " A Longitudinal Analysis of the Young Self-Employed in Australia and the United States," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-27, August.
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Wellisz, Stanislaw, 1980. "Technology, Entrepreneurs, and Firm Size," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 95(4), pages 663-77, December.
- George J. Borjas & Stephen G. Bronars, 1989.
"Consumer Discrimination and Self-Employment,"
NBER Working Papers
2627, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Bernard F. Lentz & David N. Laband, 1990. "Entrepreneurial Success and Occupational Inheritance among Proprietors," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 23(3), pages 563-79, August.
- Evans, David S & Leighton, Linda S, 1989. "Some Empirical Aspects of Entrepreneurship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 519-35, June.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & David Joulfaian & Harvey S. Rosen, 1994.
"Entrepreneurial Decisions and Liquidity Constraints,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(2), pages 334-347, Summer.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & David Joulfaian & Harvey S. Rosen, 1994. "Entrepreneurial Decisions and Liquidity Constraints," NBER Working Papers 4526, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Holtz-Eakin, D. & Joulfaian, D. & Rosen, H.S., 1992. "Entrepreneurial Decisions and Liquidity Constraints," Papers 129, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- George J. Borjas, 1986. "The Self-Employment Experience of Immigrants," NBER Working Papers 1942, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Van Praag, C Mirjam & Van Ophem, Hans, 1995. "Determinants of Willingness and Opportunity to Start as an Entrepreneur," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 513-40.
- Earle, John S. & Sakova, Zuzana, 2000. "Business start-ups or disguised unemployment? Evidence on the character of self-employment from transition economies," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 575-601, September.
- David G. Blanchflower, 2004. "Self-Employment: More may not be better," NBER Working Papers 10286, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guataqui, Juan Carlos & García Suaza, Andrés Felipe & Rodríguez, Mauricio, 2009. "Estimaciones de los determinantes de los ingresos laborales en Colombia con consideraciones diferenciales para asalariados y cuenta propia," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 005756, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.