Management Views on Corporate Cash Holdings
AbstractWe survey the CFOs of 1,000 large U.S. companies to learn their views about corporate cash holdings. Specifically, we investigate managerial views about the determinants of cash holdings and whether they believe that corporate governance affects a firm’s level of cash holdings, spending of cash, and value of cash holdings. We find their views provide support for an optimal tradeoff approach to cash holdings, limited support for a financing hierarchy explanation, mixed support for arguments that financial constraints affect a firm’s cash holdings, and generally no support for most agency cost explanations. The survey results show that managers believe the effectiveness of a firm’s corporate governance structures may affect its cash holdings and spending of cash but not the value of its cash holdings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by McColl School of Business, Queens University of Charlotte in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 2010-01.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Cash Holdings; Corporate Governance;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ozgur Arslan & Chrisostomos Florackis & Aydin Ozkan, 2006.
"The Role of Cash Holdings in Reducing Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivity: Evidence from a Financial Crisis Period in an Emerging Market,"
06/08, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Arslan, Ozgur & Florackis, Chrisostomos & Ozkan, Aydin, 2006. "The role of cash holdings in reducing investment-cash flow sensitivity: Evidence from a financial crisis period in an emerging market," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 320-338, December.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Almeida, Heitor & Campello, Murillo, 2007.
"Is cash negative debt? A hedging perspective on corporate financial policies,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 515-554, October.
- Acharya, Viral V & Almeida, Heitor & Campello, Murillo, 2005. "Is Cash Negative Debt? A Hedging Perspective on Corporate Financial Policies," CEPR Discussion Papers 4886, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viral V. Acharya & Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello, 2005. "Is Cash Negative Debt? A Hedging Perspective on Corporate Financial Policies," NBER Working Papers 11391, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dittmar, Amy & Mahrt-Smith, Jan & Servaes, Henri, 2003. "International Corporate Governance and Corporate Cash Holdings," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 111-133, March.
- Ozkan, Aydin & Ozkan, Neslihan, 2004. "Corporate cash holdings: An empirical investigation of UK companies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2103-2134, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HP Bowen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.