Alignment or entrenchment? Corporate governance and cash holdings in growing firms
AbstractThis study contends that the association between corporate cash holdings and corporate governance is subject to the investment environments that firms face. For example, firms with an abundance of investment opportunities have a strong incentive to hold cash in order to maintain their competitive positions. Shareholders accept high levels of cash holdings in such growing firms if corporate governance can protect their interests. This study examines the effects of corporate governance on cash holdings for a sample of high-tech firms. The results show that CEO ownership, the directorship of venture capitalists (VCs), and independent directors play critical roles in corporate cash policy. In addition, the boards are more effective when the firms' CEOs are also their founders or when VCs hold a large stake of company shares. The effects of corporate governance are more significant in younger firms while the effects of firm-specific economic variables are more significant in older firms in the sample.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 62 (2009)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Cash holdings Ownership Board of directors Founder CEO Venture capital;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dittmar, Amy & Mahrt-Smith, Jan & Servaes, Henri, 2003. "International Corporate Governance and Corporate Cash Holdings," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 111-133, March.
- Hellmann, Thomas & Puri, Manju, 2000. "The Interaction between Product Market and Financing Strategy: The Role of Venture Capital," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 959-84.
- Tim Opler & Lee Pinkowitz & Rene Stulz & Rohan Williamson, 1997.
"The Determinants and Implications of Corporate Cash Holdings,"
NBER Working Papers
6234, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Opler, Tim & Pinkowitz, Lee & Stulz, Rene & Williamson, Rohan, 1999. "The determinants and implications of corporate cash holdings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 3-46, April.
- Glenn W. Boyle & Graeme A. Guthrie, 2003. "Investment, Uncertainty, and Liquidity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(5), pages 2143-2166, October.
- Stewart C. Myers & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1998.
"The Paradox of Liquidity,"
CRSP working papers
339, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Guiso, Luigi, 1997.
"High-Tech Firms and Credit Rationing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1696, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ozkan, Aydin & Ozkan, Neslihan, 2004. "Corporate cash holdings: An empirical investigation of UK companies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2103-2134, September.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Kim, Chang-Soo & Mauer, David C. & Sherman, Ann E., 1998. "The Determinants of Corporate Liquidity: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(03), pages 335-359, September.
- Robert E. Carpenter & Bruce C. Petersen, 2002. "Capital Market Imperfections, High-Tech Investment, and New Equity Financing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(477), pages F54-F72, February.
- L.A.A. Van den Berghe & Abigail Levrau, 2002. "The Role of the Venture Capitalist as Monitor of the Company: a corporate governance perspective," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 124-135, 07.
- Bushman, Robert & Chen, Qi & Engel, Ellen & Smith, Abbie, 2004. "Financial accounting information, organizational complexity and corporate governance systems," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 167-201, June.
- Mikkelson, Wayne H. & Partch, M. Megan, 2003. "Do Persistent Large Cash Reserves Hinder Performance?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(02), pages 275-294, June.
- Dewaelheyns, Nico & Locorotondo, Rosy & Van Hulle, Cynthia, 2010.
"Cash holdings within subsidiaries: impact of group health,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/387990, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Dewaelheyns, Nico & Locorotondo, Rosy & Van Hulle, Cynthia, 2011. "Cash holdings within subsidiaries: Impact of group health," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/311908, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Dewaelheyns, Nico & Locorotondo, Rosy & Van Hulle, Cynthia, 2011. "Cash holdings within subsidiaries: impact of group health," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/388047, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Dewaelheyns, Nico & Locorotondo, Rosy & Van Hulle, Cynthia, 2011. "Cash holdings within subsidiaries: Impact of group health," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/306622, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Gao, Ning & Jain, Bharat A., 2011. "Founder CEO management and the long-run investment performance of IPO firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1669-1682, July.
- Orens, Raf & Reheul, Anne-Mie, 2011. "Do CEO Demographics Explain Cash Holdings in SMEs?," Working Papers 2011/35, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Collins, Denton & Huang, Henry, 2011. "Management entrenchment and the cost of equity capital," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 356-362, April.
- Orens, Raf & Reheul, Anne-Mie, 2011. "Do CEO Demographics Explain Cash Holdings in SMEs?," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/406615, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Liang, Hui & Moreau, Laura & Park, Jung Chul, 2011. "Investment opportunities and dividend omissions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(10), pages 1108-1115, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.